About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

I'd not seen these before

These being black and white seagull type birds I came across on one of my walks along Queens Beach in Bowen Qld last July.  I had snuck up onto to some rocks to take the photos but had become too engrossed watching them in the water and it wasn't till they started to move I realised I hadn't actually pressed the shutter.  So these two shots are all I got!  Not close up ones either!
I kept looking at them in the camera and for the life of me couldn't think what it was that was so different about them.  Thats what spending time away in the sun does to me lol

I didn't have a bird book with me and it wasn't till I got home and was sorting out the photos I had a good look at them.  Yes, then it was obvious that they did have a different look about them.  They certainly weren't gulls at all - they were balck and white and had 'red' legs and a long 'reddy orange' beak for a start lol

After a little bit of research I discovered they are actually an endangered Australian native bird called Australian Pied Oystercatchers.   
There are Oystercatchers all over the world (see here)
and these are our version
 So I guess I was lucky to see them.

I've seperated and cropped the two photos to show you them in more detail



Not living near the coast means that I often get the chance to see something new and different when I'm 'out of town'
And I'm sure if you click this link you will find many more Camera Critters to look and marvel at.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, a totally new one on me, never heard of an oyster catcher either. :-) Of course, I am pretty landlocked. Unique birds, a nice 'catch'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen one before, not even heard of them before. Interesting bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice catch. They look just like our American Oystercatchers. We have them around the coast as well. They are very skittish birds and it's hard to get close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Cathy. I have not heard of them before, but they look great birds. You were lucky to see them and to get a few photos as well. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your oystercatchers. They are neat looking birds. Great sighting and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your oystercatchers. They are neat looking birds. Great sighting and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic shots! and what a lovely looking bird!
    thanks for sharing.:)

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the bird lesson - and for taking the time to crop the photos for a closer look.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy