About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, July 8, 2011

You never know what you'll find

'Till you start looking.

My husband is a reader - every spare minute he gets he's reading something.   Thinking about it he's always been a reader, he even took a book to read on our honeymoon.  Not sure how much he read of it tho' lol

With the rotten weather we've had this week I've done some more delving into his family history and discovered something that he's quite tickled pink over.

One branch of his family originated in Fordington a small place in Dorset which is a county in the South West of England  In 1857 his Great Grandmother's sister Anne married a man by the name of Frederick Hardy.

Yes, from THE Hardy family - Frederick was Thomas Hardy's cousin.  Yes THE Thomas Hardy Dorset's most literary figure.

So, he's not a blood relation but Dh is suitably impressed.

7 comments:

  1. I've been searching family lines for six years. I am at a brickwall now, but it's such fun to find things like that. One of my great (however many) grandfathers fought in the Rev. war. His brother fought too, but was killed by Indians. I found distant kin that had paperwork to prove it. I could talk for hours about Genealogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My DH wants me to join Ancestry.com and see what I can find. I am not sure if I want to know that much about my family, of course, I would maybe like to know if the family legend of one of the great, greats being a horse thief. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, I have just finished reading 'Jude the Obscure' one of Thomas Hardy's novels. Well worth reading if you like that kind of book.

    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very cool! I did some checking, too, and have gotten back a couple of generations. It's fun to find out who came before us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Cathy. How exciting is that. My hubby's uncle did a search many years ago and traced the family back to France and there was something about a chateau, but I can't remember what it was now.. My mother also did one when she was alive and traced her mothers family in Ireland and her fathers in Denmark.It was very interesting. Take care. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shudder to think who, or what is lurking in my family tree.
    But yes we are suitable impressed too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll admit it...I had to Google Thomas Hardy. So now I know who he is. :)

    As a fellow reader/book lover, I would be fascinated to have a connection with a famous author, too.

    Best wishes in the continued ancestry search.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy