About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Garden plots and fenced gardens

A break in the weather early last week - yes it did stop raining for a while - meant I could get outside and do a bit more tidying up.   We are tootling off 'up north' in a few days so I don't want to come home to a jungle - even tho from past experience I know thats what I'll find when we do get back:( 

One of the jobs I did was to dismantle my failed veggie garden.  We have a spot down near the back of the garden that I thought would be good for veggies - out of the way but still visible - visible usually meaning I won't forget to water lol 

I used a piece of grass that is between two 'garden beds' and really is 'just there', a means of getting from one part ot the other and by leaving a space at each side I figured wouldn't be missed.   So I did all the right things, got Dh to make a boundary edge like a fence and layered all sorts of things to make a lasagne (no dig) bed, waited a little while for it to settle and then planted.

There were no warm sunny days and it rained and rained also I'd forgotten that even tho' that spot gets loads of sunshine in the Autumn and Winter (like now) its quite shady in Spring and Summer.  

Nothing prospered so I gave up on it.   


That area used to make a wonderful spot for the grand boys to set up some cricket stumps - when they  were little and grandma wasn't so protective of the plants nearby lol
I'm sure with all the rain we are having it won't take long for this to grass over again.


I'm going to turn the old compost heap over when we get back and have another go in that area. Its sort of visible, behind the washing line and right beside the tank, so I won't be able to complain about carting water from one end of the garden to the other.

Talking of gardens look at these roadside ones we saw on the north west coast of Newfoundland.  So much of the land is rocky with no usuable soil so the people are able to take over bits of the roadside (crown land) that are soft and diggable - fenced to keep out stray Moose and other animals that may come by.


Ingenious and trusting eh?
But then there are so few living in that area
if you did pinch some of the produce
you'd be stealing from your neighbour

7 comments:

  1. We all win some and we lose some with gardening. Most of us have those "lose some" spots, too, but only a few are willing to show it. ;) The boys playing in that area are/were cute. :))

    Have fun on your trip!

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a total flop when it comes to gardening anymore. So you can attempt gardening in your Winter?

    Have a nice time "up North" and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my gardens are weedy with all this heat and humidity lately. I wish I could escape up north .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having only just come back from "up north" Cathy, I can tall you, Its awfully hard to come back down again (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,

    I have to say considering you're not that far from me last years growing season was a dead loss, even if the space was full sun.

    Good on you for giving it another go next season.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. We let our neighbors use part of our land for their garden. They often share the produce with us, but we would never dream of helping ourselves even if it is on our property. It is their garden and to take something without asking would be stealing as far as we are concerned. We have wild blackberries and they always ask if they can pick some. It is nice to live in the country where neighbors are so trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos Cathy, and I agree if someone stole the veggies they would be stealing from their neighbours. The people in Newfoundland are really friendly.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy