About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The changing face of Sedum Autumn Joy

You know where weight gain is concerned
it usually happens slowly over a period of time

That change in appearance isn't noticeable to begin with
Then you start to realise what has happened
and have to do something about it
I'm sure some of you can relate to that lol

Now I'm going off on a tangent here
Its one that doesn't seem connected to gaining weight
but is connected to a change in appearance   

But before I do go on
one thing you have to remember
is that February is late summer here in Australia

So take a look at my Sedum which I think is Autumn Joy
I had cut it back to ground level when it finished 'flowering' the year before

Then I noticed it had really shot up again early in the year  
See all those green broccoli looking 'flowers' on top of the long stalks
February 2nd 2011
all photos will enlarge
As the month went by they slowly started to colour up
This is what they looked like by February 26th
They were darker still at the beginning of March 
March 3rd
Then this happened
They had turned the darkest browny red I had ever seen them to be
March 23rd
By  late April the heads had started to die off
and it was time for me to cut them down
sorry no photos
by then it was raining too much to trail round taking pretty pictures lol

And thats how it was for the next few months
Like weight gain it had been time to take action
I didn't even notice they weren't there

So much was going on and other things were covering up the space
 but look at this
They are starting to grow again



I took these this morning
See those little green bits
down at ground level near the old stalks
next to grey leaves of the Lambs Ears (Stachys) 
Over Spring and Summer they will grow taller
and be the new flower stalks for next Autumn

Its gone almost a full circle
Great news for the Sedum

Bit of a bugger for me lol
I've noticed a bit of a gain but thats as far as its going
Lettuce leaves here we come!!

4 comments:

  1. I got a black linen skirt out of the wardrobe this morning, Oh dear !!!!!
    It doesn't fit any more. Is that the slow weight gain do you think.lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never noticed my Sedum do anything but be there. Maybe I need to whack it off this fall and see what it does???? Actually it's a pain in the behind for the guys to mow around, but they do, it might be something I might get upset about, if they cut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of these. Seems like they are the only flower that keeps on giving. No trouble what so ever.

    Now the weight gain....know all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures and an enjoyable post to read with so much that I can relate to. I've just finished off a plate of broccoli, a tomato and a portobello mushroom for lunch. Always trying!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy