About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What does this picture mean?

It means that there was washing on the line 
before 10am this morning

Today is going to be sunny and dry and the outside line was the place to be
At least thats what we have been led to believe 
It really will be a pleasure
after the wet miserable days we've had recently
and anyway who are we to disbelieve the weather bureau lol

The bed was stripped early, the bathroom raided and the linen on the line quick smart.
 Hopefully it will 'dry' completely
and not be too damp when it comes in this afternoon
Or our place will most likely look like a chinese laundy with it draped all over the clothes horses to air overnight

Do you like the company I had near the washing line? 
Its Mr Magpie and one of his ladies
Look at the fabulous white back he has
This is a different Mr to my regular one - the previous one had a funny way of walking and this one is quite strong on his feet
 I haven't seen the previous one for a while so its possible 'something happened' to him and this one has come in and 'claimed' the ladies
 Now,  as I'm in a domestic mood today
I've gathered all the ingredients together for this evenings hot meal
I really enjoy a lovely hot winters 'stew' or casserole
And as I'm always watching the money 
more often than than not 
I use economical cuts - this is blade 
but sometimes I'll just get shin if the butcher has it
Carrots, onions, swede. turnip, parsnip and some garlic - all my favourite winter veg.
I start by browning the meat to seal, put to one side. 
Cook the chopped onion and garlic in the same pan, put to one side with the meat
Then brown the chopped veg a bit in the pan and pop them all in the big round Bessemer casserole (the orange one in the background)
 
Add some water along with a dash of this and a dash of that (from the bottles, jars and packets) to the same frying pan and bring to the boil stirring as you go - this 'cleans' the pan of any meat flavours left behind - that liquid then go into the casserole along with more water.  Put lid on and walk away with a smile on your face. 

This particular frying pan measures about 10ins across has 2 inch sides and has a really heavy base 
bought many years for $2 ago in an op-shop  
it has to be one of the best bargains I have ever found 
its obvious someone certainly didn't know its value in the kitchen
Oh yes, I realise that all those salty additions don't do your BP any good but a little bit of this and a little bit of that gives it an incredible flavour.  Sometimes I use the cornflour to thicken but others I leave it and enjoy the fabulous juicy gravy

You know, even tho' an animal is the same all over the world its strange that different countries call the cuts by different names.  This UK site Recipes4us.co.uk uses the names I grew up with all of which are similar to Australian.

Only thing is when I ask for Shin on the Bone here they insist on calling it Osso Bucco even if when its not veal but older beef.  You get the most incredible 'gravy' when you use this cut - I read somewhere Osso Buco means "hole of bone" - all the bone marrow gives the stock a flavour and taste of its own.

 Just a little aside here:
I'm in no way associated with the company but I 've had my Bessemer pieces for about 20 years, cost me fortune that long ago but they have been good friends. Used on the stove top and not in the oven you can do all sorts - even make cakes in the casserole if you want.   In those days Margaret Fulton used to promote it - I think you can still find the associated cookbooks online.
Bessemer is an Australian company selling premium quality cookware. Our heavy cast cookware functions like an oven on the stove, ensuring even heating and sealing in vitamins and flavour with lower energy requirements.

Must go - the kitchen is a calling my name lol

Do you have any favourite winter meals?

8 comments:

  1. Good on you to have all your washing done nice and early. its sunny here now, but this morning it was pea soup out there. I have just resigned myself to the fact that clothes will need to be dryed inside on the clothes horses. But i dont mind, that means I can do the washing anytime. I too have the slow cooker going today. Its deviled sausages today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it would mean...it has finally stopped raining...but no luck here for that. It's been raining and raining for days, and cold too. I need some sunshine and dry grounds.
    Cool picture of the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I like root vegetables in my stew also. I think a favorite winter meal for us would be white chili and fresh-baked muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope those brown ants arnt bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always beaut to have the washing out first thing. Over the past couple of years, I leave it out overnight if it's damp.. fingers crossed, the next day it dries completely by lunch time. That's my excuse ;-)
    Lovely photos of your Magpies. They give such lovely songs don't they.
    Yum, nothing like a good hearty casserole - your post and pic describes it beautifully. Nice to know the food's all prepared in advance too.
    A winter standby for us is a big pot of soup. Mostly veggie - either assorted, or a cream of cauliflower or pumpkin (light evap milk.. not cream, still works!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never see clothes hanging on a clothes line without picturing my mother standing there with her apron on and clothes pins in her mouth as she reaches up to hang something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well aren't you just a domestic diva! I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, for a home cooked meal! :))) We love using the slow cooker at home to make beef stew and so many other good things. Comfort food!

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy