About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Here comes another one

This weather is beginning to get to me - I don't mind sharp cold days but miserable cold rainy ones have never been my strong point.  You'd think having been raised in England - and you know what the weather can be like there - these days wouldn't bother me - but then maybe that's what has put me off them lol

You know, during those recent years of drought even us here in the suburbs wished like crazy for rain - and, have we had rain since the drought broke.  I remember laughing at someone who jokingly said 'Be careful what you wish for'...............now I know what she meant lol

Anyway to pass the time away I've been going through some of the holiday folders from last years trip when we had a fabulous time in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland visiting friends and family. Looking through those photos I found something else in a similar vein to another post I did recently. 

Do you remember the post called Similar but not the Same - the one about the sheep in Newfoundland...........these photos of a log truck Newfoundland style could also could come under that heading.

We'd just left our B&B at Springdale and were tootling along the road when we  saw this Log Truck.  To 'our' eyes it looked overloaded and at one time we thought it was going to tip over




but it carried on its merry way as if nothing had happened.  The size of the tree trunks weren't massive - in fact they were very spindly -  not like those we get in our forests close to where I live.    Needless to say we overtook and went our way as quickly and as safely as possible lol

I did get told the name of the trees but you know me - the queen of lists at home - I forgot to write it down:((

So heres a look at our log trucks - slightly different - Similar but not the Same





6 comments:

  1. everytime I pass one of these I kinda wish they would detour to my house and drop off a couple. We have had alot of rain here too, so muddy the back yard looks terrible. Sometimes I just wish it would snow, at least thats pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would have pulled off the highway completely and given that log truck time to be far ahead of us before we hit the road again. Who wants to drive along awaiting a log falling on their head? Better to watch for logs that might be in the road than to be there when they actually topple off the truck. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice weather our way now, going to be a tad on the hot side though. Our Summer seems to be snapping on our heels.

    Log trucks can be scary! In the first pictures - I have never seem the logs stacked that way! Your trucks and ours are similar, although I don't think they are allowed the piggy back trucks for logs. Have you ever seen a log truck lose it's load? It's a sight, like a giant's game of pick up sticks! They do a lot of logging in my area.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,

    Our log trucks here look pretty much like yours there. I agree the ones in your first images look dangerous. I wouldn't want to be within rollover range of them, that's for sure!

    Sunday hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Newfie truck is overloaded. The logs should not be piled above the pickets. The smaller logs, probably going to be made into pulp or wood chips for chip board. They chould be Spruce.

    Here in Ontario they gave up piling logs across the wagon and now they are piled like the Aussie truck. Most are now piled on tree length unless they are prime white pine for lumber cut 16' 6".

    Here in Canada we expect things in Newfoundland to be a little behind the times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Newfie truck is not overloaded. The pickets lean back in the slots so they pile it higher. And Ontario has not given up suicide (crossways) loading, go to the mill in Terrace Bay Ontario, or Barwick Ontario, or even the five axle straight trucks in Thunder Bay still go suicide for firewood.

      Delete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy