About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mooching around and feeling miserable – no monk on and certainly not mardy.

A head cold plus wet weather during the week has meant I have been feeling quite miserable and out of sorts, hence the lack of posts but today (Saturday) was one of those welcome days where the sun shone right from the word go. I was able to have the doors and windows open and not go running for warmer clothes if it went behind a cloud.  So for the first time in a while I took to meandering around the little park close to home – there were benches and ducks to see and paths to walk!!

There was a big choice of benches I could sit on.  Two of which are my favourites. 
Theres this one thats been here for years
 
Its just behind these bushes on the left and has a view of the back of the Community House and the Bridge the goes over the wetlands 
Which is where I can see the ducks!

Or theres this newer one further back in the park
Its from here I get a good view of some of the walking paths and the grassy areas
Or if I look really hard can see the other side of the pond and the children's playground
Click on the photos to enlarge them

Actually today I kept on walking - lack of exercise was making me tetchy
Feeling really off, with no energy and no appetite
So it was good to be out in the fresh air with no need for a mackintosh
and I was ready for a meal when I got home

Many years ago I lived in the East Midlands and not being a native to there found some of the expressions and descriptive words very different to any I'd heard before

 Here's a couple
I wasn't mardy - I wasn't moody
Mardy is a word in some dialects of English meaning: awkward; uncooperative; bad tempered; whiny; aloof; stroppy, moody, miserable or sulking like a small child. Its usage tends to be more common around, but not exclusive to Yorkshire, the West Midlands, East Midlands and Staffordshire

And I certainly didn't have a monk on
 to have a monk on - to be grumpy, to have a sulky face

Whats the weather like at your place
and what strange expressions are used there local to your part of the country

10 comments:

  1. Both strange words to me!

    Glad you are feeling better and the weather is more pleasant for you to take that walk in your lovely park!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your cold gets better and better and better....

    It was fun to walk with you.

    Thanks for the definitions. I believe I've heard them before, but never really knew the meanings. Blogging is so much fun to learn about others. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a woman from the Midlands in U.K. who always said that she was going to mash the tea. She meant make a pot of tea....
    Do hope your cold gets better real quick, We're just getting over ours and feeling more like ourselves again.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pix! Monk and Mardy sound like two characters on a television comedy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi cathy
    I hope your feeling bettr after the weekend weather. It was wonderful and we spent all day sunday on westernport fishing. The weather is still beautiful today, but the mornings are very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of both words, but as I am from further north of you they are not words we would use in Cumbria.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. ......forgot to say, hope you're feeling better soon.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photographs! I hope you're feeling better.

    We're easing into spring here in Colorado USA. We had rain last night, which was welcome, as we had a dry winter. But the mornings are still quite cool.

    I'm trying to think of strange local expressions and coming up blank. But I enjoyed yours.

    I'm glad I found you via A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are still well enough have a sense of humour. Out in the fresh air is good for the soul when one is feeling punk.

    I love the colourful language in Yorkshire. My friend lived there for three years and promises to take me there soon for a vacation. My grand parents were from the Potteries in Staffordshire. I am surprise that I recognize some of the words used there. I guess I absorbed them from my grandmother.

    I used to wish I belonged to an ethic group that seemed to have a group identity. One day I was watching Coronation Street when it dawned on me, "There are my people!" I do have an ethic origin.
    I realized I understood some of the word usages on that show. No wonder my mother loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy