About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Similar but not the same

Its strange when you are travelling and you happen to come across a familar sight, but even though its similar its not the same.  We were in Newfoundland last year and driving round a bend  I suddenly yelled 'stop'  There in what seemed a very small farm yard were some sheep - not many of them but sheep just the same. 

Where I live in the suburbs east of Melbourne there aren't any paddocks with sheep in them - but I don't have to go too far up the road to find some.  Not the same as these - similar but not quite the same

These are Newfoundland Sheep - seemingly a rare breeed
Not a huge sized sheep - and one that seemed to be all different shapes and colours
Very placid looking - unconcerned with me being near the gate - that or they were wery well fed and it was post lunch siesta time lol

This one made its way over to see what was going on
but found something far more interesting on the way over

All of a sudden this big white dog which I think is a Pyrenean Mountain Dog / Great Pyrennes comes bounding over barking like crazy.  Didn't disturb the sheep one little bit - and even tho it was behind a fence it made me feel a bit uncomfortable.  

As you can see I stepped back a little:)
Reading up about these dogs I found out that they are a guardian dog rather than a herding dog so he was there to keep an eye on the sheep and protect them rather than say a Border Collie that gets them to move on.

To see more critters from around the world


12 comments:

  1. That was an interesting post. The sheep seem very placid, don't they?
    I love to hear about the rural events in other countries, especially because we are right in the city here.
    Hope you got pussy cat into the cattery at such short notice & enjoyed your holiday.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sheep do seem to be unconcerned, don't they? I suppose they don't get upset with the dog barking, they are likely used to it and know he is doing his job.

    Great Pyrenees are very good at their job and very beautiful. I hate to see people get them for pets, because if they don't have a job to do, most of them become "bums".

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A, a job well done by the dog. ;) That dog was sheep's best friend!

    We have two dogs who are excellent at what they do, too: keep out the bad guys, love the kids and us, and make us very proud with the ribbons and awards they win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, it could well be a farm here in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first I've realized a guardian dog is different from a herding one. Thanks for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought that those big white dogs were called Marremas.

    Marrema dogs bond with what ever they are put with. Some use them to guard their free range chooks, similar to an Alpaca guardian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post on the sheep and about the dog. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, I would of loved to have seen hubbys face when you yelled stop. hahah
    The barn is great too, just as a barn should look like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your blogs. I'm retired now and hope to find time to visit some of the places I am seeing in your photos. Although we're many miles apart (I'm from the US), I like seeing the world through the eyes of other bloggers like you. Thanks for sharing. I'm a newbie blogger - only a few months - follow me sometime. http://seniormusingsmoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sheep do seem so peaceful. We should learn from them. Stop and explore along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed our farm. I came across this post by accident. This is my grandfathers farm and we all love it. It's so relaxing to be around the animals. Our dog Champ is a great working dog who protects the sheep. He's a Maremma not a pyrenees. They are very similar dogs. If you are ever in our part of Newfoundland again we would be happy to show you around our farm.
    Cassidy Gough

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy