About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Something new

I always like it when I see something new and
I managed to see a 'new' to me water bird last week in Adelaide

We were down by West Lakes when I saw a black and white bird
that I vaguely recognised from its shape
but had to look it up when we got home to be sure

Turns out it is a Little Pied Cormorant
The Little Pied Cormorant, Little Shag or Kawaupaka (Microcarbo melanoleucos) is a common Australasian waterbird found around the coasts, islands, estuaries, and inland waters of Australia, New Guinea, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Indonesia,
and around the islands of the south-western Pacific and the sub-Antarctic.

It is a small short-billed cormorant usually black above and white below with a yellow bill and small crest, although a mostly black white-throated form predominates in New Zealand.
Three subspecies are recognised. 

The species is known as the Little Pied Cormorant in Australia 
and as the Little Shag or by the Māori name of Kawaupaka in New Zealand.


There he was sitting on a railing by the water 
not in the least bit bothered by people passing by
Never having seen them close up before I was facinated by his feet
It never occured to me he'd have webbed ones like ducks
They look almost like big paddles lol




7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Cathy... it is so unique looking! Those are great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bird, and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things have been a little hectic around here for a while Cathy and I have been catching up on my blog reading. I had a comment this morning on my blog but I was unable to moderate it, something went wrong,(probably I did something wrong lol) anyway let me know when you are going to be in Adelaide, hopefully we can meet somewhere for a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to take up bird watching again. I just might do that in this new year. I have never seen or heard of the Little Pied Cormorant and I won't expect to find one in Oklahoma USA but I might be able to spot a unique bird from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks as though it's got a lot of duck in it!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is my first time to see this bird. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy