About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Self service

A chance remark in an email from Annie sent me looking for these photos I took in Newfoundland
We had stayed the night near Springdale at Hull's Riverview Bed and Breakfast
a lovely place that seemed to be miles from anywhere 
but in fact was only a couple of minutes off the Tran Canada Highway
and were almost ready to leave when I saw this bird on the feeder outside the front window

Stella told me it was a Female Hairy Woodpecker - I do hope I've rememberd that correctly
We don't have them (Woodpeckers) in Australia so out came my little camera

Theres the car waiting out the front but I was in a world of my own
Totally mesmerised by a bird I'd never seen before
It wasn't in the least bit bothered by me jockeying for a good position at the window
and just went about its business of trying to get to the food

Hope you enjoy watching it - the same as I did

all photos enlarge
click and then click again











Camera Critters is a meme hosted by Misti Dawn
to see more critters from around the world


7 comments:

  1. She's a beauty! I have never seen one before either. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep she is a Hairy. Some people get confused between Downy and Hairy woodpeckers, but Downies are smaller and have a shorter, blunt bill. Great photos and I am glad you were able to enjoy a bird you don't have at home. :)

    Jessica

    http://themagicalmundane.blogspot.com/2010/12/camera-critter-saturday-mouser-series.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, She's a female Hairy woodpecker. The male is identical but has a red patch on the back of his head. The Downey which is smaller does not have that huge black beak,almost the size of her head. One quick fact: her head is big because of the spaces in her skull to offset the strenght of that beak pounding into a tree.She's a beauty. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, N. Ont., Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty bird. She even looks like she might be trying to dress like a penguin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did it laugh like the one on TV. lol. thanks for the photo I have never seen or hear of them before. Very educational!! By the way hows the weather down your way, its cold and wet here.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy