About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thursday November 11 - Remembrance Day

Even though the main time for honouring war dead in Australia
is in April on Anzac Day
there are many here who also remember on November 11th

Remembrance Day sometimes called Armistice Day
was the day set aside to commemorate the ending of fighting on the Western Front during the First World War

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month
was the time selected to sign a treaty
It is still used in many countries as their day of remembering and honouring 
those who died in battles fought in wars and conflicts over the years
even though many also - like Australia - have their own recognised day

But why are the Poppies on sale
This link will answer that question

There is a very long history in my family of men serving their country
My father served in the English airforce during war time and also for years after in peace time, my dear one also served in the same airforce in peace time and our son followed the tradition by serving in the Australian airforce   

These flags are of  various countries and their airforces aound the world
and are displayed outside the Calgary Aerospace Museum   
They commemorate a training plan for airmen from various Commonwealth countries
that took place in Canada during the Second World War




There are many who dissagree but we must remember them all

to enlarge photos click and then click again

5 comments:

  1. I agree, we do need to remember them all. If not for them we would not have the freedoms we enjoy today.
    Lest we forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lest we forget
    Cathy, do you mind if I take a couple of the photos off your blog(Just for my own collection, not for my blog) The reason being is my Grandfather was in the Royal Australian Airforce and was stationed in Canada during the war. I especially would like to take a copy of the plaque.
    Thanks Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. We refer to it as Veteran's Day here in the U.S. , but a rose, by any other name..... We must remember our fallen soldiers, yes, no matter what we name the day to remember, and keep them in our hearts the year round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful post. We, too, are observing what we now call Veteran's Day.

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canada not only trained airmen but also spies. At Camp X just east of Toronto this school worked quietly away. The head of intelligence was the Canadian William Stephenson, the Man Called Intrepid. Ian Fleming who went on to write the Bond books was a student here for a while. The man who started the CIA in the US also attended this school as did future British MI 6 spies.

    I just learned that some Newfoundlanders fought at Galipoli. They were British colonials at the time, not yet part of Canada.

    The more you study the history, the more fascinating things you learn.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy