About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Viburnum tinus - Todays Flowers


There are some shrubs that grow nice and bushy
and reasonably tall in height
so serve a purpose as a screening plant

At least thats what I envisaged a few years ago
when I planted something 
down at the bottom of the garden
near the old cat pen

Thought it would grow fairly high with a bit of width
and would provide a bit of shade to one side of the pen
for anyone in there during the summer time
Also act as a wind break in the winter

This pen has been used for those times when we've gone out
and didn't want to leave the cats out
but needed to know they were secure
No one ever lived in it permanently

Well I think I got given the runt (sorry) of the cuttings
as you can see from this photo
the one thats growing there hasn't even reached the open mesh

please click on the pictures to enlarge


Its a spot that gets the winter sun
so there are lots of weird and wonderful things
growing down there
 I thought this would make that area
look less utilitarian in the summer when nothing was blooming

With it being a winter flowering shrub
now is the time when its covered in clusters of little dark pink buds
which then open out into tiny pale pink flowers

The clusters don't all appear at the same time
There are some with the flowers already open
and there are some more new ones
appearing at the top of the bush

Look at the lovely dark buds




They gradually become lighter before opening




I've become used to seeing this little shrub down there
and am not too fussed if it doesn't grow its full height

And I've noticed the sun is higher in the summer
so doesn't really shine in there
also because the sun is lower in the winter
anyone spending time in there during those months
has reaped the benefit of the sunshine

They aren't going to complain - sunshine equals warmth
We all know cats love warmth and sunshine  
Well mine do lol

You will find some facts here about 

to see some more beautiful flowers from around the world

11 comments:

  1. What pretty flowers on the little shrub. :) You say "winter blooming...." You must have a very mild winter. Very little blooms here in winter.

    Thanks for the suggestions for Catherine's patio garden. She reads my blog daily so will surely see them. Of course, I'll tell her, too. She is off to a dog show today with our Penny and Erik. Yes, I will be drying herbs from the garden. I dried lavender last year and had fun making sachets with it.

    Very best,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice thing to do for your cats, it's a beautiful shelter! Your viburnum photos are lovely too.

    What a coincidence, my young gradson was just looking up the time and weather of Melbourne on his phone yesterday and here you have a widget displaying it!

    I'm a friend of several of your followers, thought I would follow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most enjoyable to read and the photo's are very good Carol, loved the part about the cats.
    Hope you are ok.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't we lucky to enjoy flowers in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viburnums seem to thrive in most places, they even do quite well in the summer heat of South Australia. My cat loves the warmth but he must be a bit odd as I never see him sleeping in the sunny spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo's, I also love how you made a place all the while thinking of the cats.
    How is your husband feeling? I see my friend Wanda has been here, you will grow to love her as I do and she has the most beautiful post ever......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cats couldn't have a more lovely place to "hang-out" and enjoy the beautiful and unusal flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sequence of your photo winter blooms really makes is a nice discover of flower blooms. Yours are just pretty unique flower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the cat's pen is a fantastic idea, never have seen or heard of such before. It looks very nice with its finery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I wish our winter I could see a slight green outside ^_^. We are all covered with snow even up to our knees. Thanks for sharing the photos!

    White peonies

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful and unexpected blossom!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy