About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Here we are again

It seems much longer than a week since I last posted – things just didn’t go the way I wanted them to but at long last I can write a post and not fear it being lost in mid sentence!

The big hassle was realising how much we rely on our Internet connection and it not being there. Dh was a bit put out because he uses it a lot for downloads but for me not being able to contact friends and relations and do banking in the way we have become accustomed to was the big eye opener; I used the telephone a lot and actually had to go into the bank one day to make a transaction – took far more time than at home but was rather nice as I got to chat to the teller the way we used to do lol

My hacking cough seemed to go on for ever, thakfully I am well and truly back in the land of the living now but of course we all know that when one thing is fixed another will break down.

My dear sweet one has come down with a viral complaint of unknown origin. He’s had a very high temperature for several days now, sweats and shivers but no flue like symptoms, no cough sore throat, ear ache or tummy problems, just running this extraordinarily high temp. I tried going down the fluids, showers, rest and paracetamol path but couldn’t get the temp back down to normal so unbeknown to him I made an appointment with his GP (we frequent different practices) for yesterday morning - he’d suffer in silence hoping it would go away – well as much as a man could do so – chair slouching, his hand on head feeling to see if he really was as hot as he felt, asking if he looked unwell – I’m sure you know what I mean lol

He went along willingly so must have been feeling crook but I’m a bit mystified with what he was told. ‘Its unusual for an older person to have a fever for that long but without any other symptoms it just looks like a virus. Carry on with what your wife is doing and if you still have the high temp in a couple of days come back and see me again’   I may try and persuade him to see my man for a second opinion if it does continue.

Anyway over this time there have been some minor hassles and some little unexpected joys.

One minor hassle was having to change the bedding each day, the sheets have been soaked each morning from all the perspiration - ok sweat - so I’ve been running round in circles stripping the bed and leaving it to air before I sorted out his shower and then tried to remake it all afresh whilst he was getting dressed.

There was some unexpected joy and all those grizzles disappeared when after a couple of days we had a beautiful sunny day where I was able to wash the bedding and dry it all outside. I am so glad we have more than one change; we actually have quite a lot more than one change and I am glad I didn’t give in to all the recommendations in clutter books that suggest there is no need for more than one change of bedding. You never know when you will need them lol

Another minor hassle was the fact that a while ago I had agreed to mind a grandchild over this past weekend. Her Mum (DD1) was going up to Queensland to run in the Gold Coast Marathon and her father who works for the Police Dept was rostered for a weekend of nights and unable to change his rostered shifts. It was nice having her here with us and in the end wasn’t quite the problem I thought it was going to be. She had a party organised for the Saturday so stayed Friday night with a girlfriend as they were both invited which meant I only had to pick them both up Saturday night, take the friend home and then bring her back to our place. Sunday and Monday passed quietly – I cancelled the planned cinema visit because I wanted to be here with Dh and it really didn’t seem to bother her. Very tired from a couple of late nights she was content with the bits she brought with her and also Grandad allowed her to play around on the computer so that seemed to soften the blow a bit.   So there was unexpected joy when I heard her calling to me and laughing. ‘T says to say hello to you Grandma’

T is a granddaughter who lives in another state and had seen A on her F/Book page so sent her a message. Even though they may not see each other regularly most of the cousins talk to each other online one way or another so after a little chit chat A had told her where she was and that’s when T had mentioned for A to give us her love. We don’t have a lot of contact with her so as I said unexpected joy and a lovely warm cosy feeling.

Feeling a little less washed out this afternoon Dh thought he'd take his temperature - minor hassle coming up - he decides to kill two birds with one stone, pops it under his arm and potters off to the 'gents' at the same time.  Yes you guessed it - tinkle tinkle 'oh bla*t' - (no not that tinkle) - glass and little balls of mercury all over the place - we have/had an older style thermometer and there it was in pieces on the floor. 

So off I go to the Chemist for a new one (tell you what, they certainly have gone up in price) and 'unexpected joy' I met another of our granddaughters up at the shopping centre.  This was the oldest one who had just been for an interview at the supermarket, nearly 17 years and so grown up hoping to get a chance to earn some extra money doing a shift here and there.  I gave her a lift home and smiled as she told me how 'scared' she had been when she first met the Manager, but 'he seemed like a really nice man so I just talked to him normally'.  Then after a little while she said 'Oh Grandma I hope I didn't talk too much though' 

Wonder where she gets that from - wouldn't be her Grandma would it - think I'd better say its good to be back and stop chattering.  Hopefully I'll be able to start visiting people and reading their blogs in the next few days - when I've cleared up all that washing again that is:))

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Back lofely to hear from you. I think many of us understood what you were going through yesterday, the comments soming and going and inbtween had the Goggle Gremlins, I felt cut off from all my blogger friends, strange how we all seem to rely on the internet so much these days.Once again glad you're back.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope your husband is feeling much better and the virus hasn't latched onto you now! How wonderful you had the chance to have your granddaughter for a visit and then to meet up with one unexpectedly! I fear I am only going to have a granddog or two...Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back online! Sorry to hear about what's been going on health-wise. I hope you can stop washing everyday, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you husband is feeling a lot better, a sick man is not good,lol.
    We all rely on our computers so much and don't actually realise till it is not working. I will be without ours for a couple of weeks when we move and am not looking forward to it:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My you have been a busy little bee. I hope your hubby feels better soon. Its horrible when someone you love is sick and there is not much you can do except make them as comfortable as possible.
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am sorry that you have had so many troubles lately but you seem to be dealing with them all so well. I do hope your husband is feeling better Cathy, take care of yourself as well.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy