About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, June 7, 2010

African Daisy - Todays Flowers





Will the real African Daisy please stand up!

It seems there are several plants that go by that name

wikipedia lists them here

but theres only one in my garden
that actually gets called it 
(only because the 'proper' name is a mouthful for me)

First of all I have Arctotis growing in several spots
Such an easy plant to propagate
Dig up a piece with roots
pop into new ground and water
Hey Presto - a free addition to the garden

This group looks great when the lavender comes into bloom
The two sets of greyish leaves look good together 




Then I have a Gazania growing in places
One of those tough as old boots things
found in lots of gardens here in Melbourne
 for years I used to have the plain yellow one in the front garden
However I found this reddy pinky coloured one
in a nursery last year and am trying that out

Only a little plant when these photos were taken
as I'd split the original plant in two lol

The flowers are quite dark when they open
and then as they age they tend to get lighter in colour




And then theres the one I do call African Daisy
but who's real name is Osteospermum
try saying that in a hurry lol




These are the sweetest little (big) daisy type plants
that sort of grow in a sprawling mess at times
they wheedle their way into a place in the garden 
in and out of other plants
over and under things
and even tho' I could
I don't have the heart to trim them back
they look so natural - as tho' they are supposed to be there


So do you have any of these growing in your garden?
What names do you call them?

To see more Flowers from around the World

9 comments:

  1. Cathy, they are lovely--Anything with "daisy" is one of my favorite flowers! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have different kind of daisies, like it. Happy Sunday!


    My Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love daisy type plants, they seem to hold up well in dry weather. I have lots of lavender, I should try daisies beside them, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos of daisy like flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,

    You have a beautiful garden and I love African daisies. I lived in Australia for 2 years (Sidney area). I still miss it. Then I moved to South Africa. Today I posted something on South African flowers because of the upcoming Fifa soccer cup. Your daisies are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have some "ordinary" gazanias.
    The only other thing we have planted in this garden is some seaside daisies (alas we rent).

    ReplyDelete
  7. we grow those as annuals in Canada. They are very pretty,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how many different kinds of daisies there are! They are such ceery flowers. Thanks for sharing these phots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw some yellow African daisies on a rerun of Better Homes & Gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy