About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Melbourne's Yarra River - Watery Wednesday


Melbourne was built at 'the end' of the Yarra River
They say the river flows through the city
or was it that the city was built alongside the river lol
It cuts through Melbourne as it flows along to the Bay
and from there out to sea

Whatever it is we have a fabulous waterway in our beautiful city

If you look here you'll find
some really good interesting facts about the river

It's a rather murky river to look at - not crystal clear like some others
It seems the brown muddy colour
is the result of the clay soil underneath

Now here we have it during the day
 lined with those tall city buidings
It was a dull day when I took this
and it certainly didn't look all that interesting


But come the night and the city lights up
like Cinderella, it's the belle of the ball
I had to go into Melbourne one evening last week
and took these photos as I walked over Princes Bridge

On the right hand side you can see the big city buildings
with their lights reflected in the water

On the left hand side
you can see the walkway that lines Southbank

The lights of Southgate Promenade give an eerie look to the area
and it wasn't until I really looked at them
I noticed the figure in the far left hand corner
Wonder who he was wating for??


To get the full benefit of the night photos
you really will have to click and enlarge them

To see more Watery Wednesday pictures from around the world

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the river! I love the night shots, they reflections are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cities with river walks! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely shots. Lights reflecting on the water at night is always beautiful. And I like the first shot - doesn't matter how the sky looks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to visit Australia someday... love your photos.

    Mine's up! Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great captures. I especially love the night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the lights definitely transform the city. the bridge is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I loved the nighttime photos! The daytime ones, too, but the nighttime colors looked beautiful. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely piccies.
    And I have never thought the lower reaches were very photogenic.
    Most of my piccies of the Yarra have been taken up near Warburton.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy