About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It was time

Outside of Yea, a town about an hours drive from where I live,
there is a disused railway tunnel.
Called the Cheviot Tunnel it was built in the 1880s
when the railway line from Melbourne to Yea was extended to Mansfield

Cheviot station was opened with the line in 1889 as part of the Yea to Molesworth extension. Molesworth to Merton opened in 1890 to be followed by Merton to Mansfield in 1891.

In all the times we've visited Yea we've never been to see the tunnel
so I took these photos on our last daytrip in April

We were there in early April
well before our Anzac Weekend in Adelaide
but since we returned home this is how I've felt

I knew this hollow feeling was going to arrive 
in the same way you can see this tunnel approaching
I could see the darkness that was going to envelope me
with just a little tiny speck of light ahead
but I really didn't want to go there
Then there was that awful time when it was black
and I couldn't see clearly
but the light in the distance was growing stronger
At last I was able to see the outside world clearly
realise all was well
and life would be ok again
What all this is building up to is the fact
that since we got home
I saw a definite decline in Leroy
our 18 year old chocolate Burmese boy

He was very unsteady on his feet, was not eating
and had lost an enormous amount of weight
then other problems arose

So it was with sadness after so much consideration and tears
I made that final decision last Thursday

He loved that chair on the deck
where he could sit and watch the world go by
or snooze as he wished
He loved being scratched under his chin
and best of all he loved to sleep peacefully in the sun


VALE - Farewell
Double Grand Premier Neuter Kingswood Bonnie Laddie
known to us as
Leroy

Sire   Adina Kavalier
      Dam   Brookwood Ranee

24-4-1992 to 13-5-2010

11 comments:

  1. very sad...
    sending you gentle thoughts cathy.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is terribly sad to lose such a loved member of the family. My thoughts are with you.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frightening the tunnel I think panic would have taken over with me,

    I am so sorry about your cat, you must be feeling so lost.
    I my catsome years ago,she was diabetic but got gall stones as well and the vet thought it best that I should say good bye to her.

    Some lovely photo's which brought tears to my eyes.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, you made the right choice though it was a difficult one. Your post about it was an affirmation of Leroy and your love for him. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to lose a pet but he had a good life with you and enjoyed every moment by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you Cathy. No time is ever the right time but sometimes its not avoidable any longer. Leroy was very beautiful.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always sad to say goodbye to a furry friend, especially one as much loved as Leroy, but the knowledge they had the best life that you could give them, and were very much loved, brings comfort. He will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge now.
    Thinking of you.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry, My heart goes out to you. I love my pets as though they were my children, and having to make that decision is always so hard.
    Cyber hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its sad, I know, when you have to make such a difficult decision.

    I feel for you Cathy.

    Sending you warm and gentle thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss, there has been an awful lot of pet deaths recently in blogland.

    Saying a prayer for you.

    Oh and because it was warm, I was only wearing a t-shirt and it was short sleeved!! I was covered up all ever but there!.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Cathy, I am so sorry. What a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy