About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Even Years

Its been cold and damp these past few days - which I'm not going to knock 'cose we need as much rain as we can get - so instead of walking the neighbourhood for exercise (fair weather walker here) I've been making use of my membership and doing my exercise at the Leisure Centre.  Now you’ll be pleased to know I have actually been exercising on a regular basis recently – so much so I’m beginning to recognise and even have little conversations with some of the other people at the gym. Theres one woman who loves to laugh and always had a smile on her face and as we always seem to be near each other in the Pump class we sort of began to see each other in the café after classes. We usually only have tea or coffee and none of the sticky bun type things some of the others have – I’m not going to work like billyoh and then put it all back on again lol.

Anyway even though she always seems to smile and joke a lot, at times there’s a bit of look on her face that says her joints aren’t always working the way they should. Coming out of class the other day we were laughing about getting older and falling apart and as we sat down in the café she said ‘Oh if it wasn’t for a whole lot of good men in my life and the even years I’d have been gone years ago”

I must have looked blank ‘cose she then went on to hum this little ditty sung by youngsters all over the world

'Head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes,
Head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes,
Eyes and ears and mouth and nose,
Head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes'

Still blank faced I had to admit I didn’t know what she was on about.

It seems she has had sore arthritic joints for years as well as catarcts and hearing problems along with a breast cancer scare and a pap smear that came back ‘abnormal’ – when she revealed all that to me I still didn’t know what she meant about all those good men and the even years.

So I then learnt that the good men in her life were all the fabulous medical doctors she’s had contact with and the even years are the years the reminders come through the door for all those lovely tests we are urged to have as we age.

Eye tests at the Opticians – Hearing tests at the Audiologists – Mammograms at Breastscreen Victoria and the delightful Pap Smear at the GPs

OMG, I curled up with laughter and couldn’t keep a straight face for hours ‘cose she then revealed her version of the kids song

'Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
Eyes and ears and t*ts and b*m -
Watch out fellas, here we come, here we come'

And the funny thing is we must share the even years ‘cose my reminders have been arriving since the beginning of the month!!

4 comments:

  1. I don't mind eyes and ear test but pap smears I hate, I had an adnormal result last year, had a biopsy at the hospital which said it was just inflamation.....no sign of cancer, but to go back for a smear in April, off I went it is still adnormal but won't be seen at the hospital until October.
    They don't seem worried but I am.

    Loved your little song. must remember that.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriends and I use to sing that song in college.....LOL

    I too have all my test in the even years except of course for my mammagram. I have to have it every year since my breast cancer.

    It is wet and cool here as well Cathy but is suppose to turn warm this week ....... :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the tests, my mammogram is even years, and I have a smear every year, and even though they are inconvenient, I just say to myself - well, it's inconvenient to die. Loved the reworded ditty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard the ditty either, and we certainly have some years when we see a lot of those 'good men'.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy