About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9 - H

Letter H of The Blogging from A-Z April Challenge

House v Home

A house is a structure , but a home is the people who live in the house and make it a safe and pleasant place to be. You've heard quotes such as "Keep the home fires burning" (during the wars years) and the oldie but goodie "Home is where the heart is." You can live in a beautiful home, but if you have no one to love and share it with, then it's just a plain house no matter how fancy it is. Poor or rich, no children or a dozen children, adults have the control to make any place a good home.
 But a house is a physical structure with walls and a roof and a door.
A home can be anywhere you live 
"Home is where the heart is."


So what about you?
How do you think about where you live
Is it just:

a House - something that you are living in
or
a Home - the place where you are living but also where you feel comfortable and safe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home

Does owning the place make any difference?
To me it does.
I know on the few occasions we rented
I found I couldn't form an attachement to the House
We couldn't do anything to make it 'ours'
so I never felt it was our Home

I'd love to know how others have coped with this situation

There a saying I love and can fully relate to
'Dull women have immaculate homes'

You should see mine sometimes
Very lived in
Certainly not immaculate lol

Now heres a little extra piece on Houses
The Macquarie Thesaurus
used the word Bower
in its listing for House
According to them a Bower is also a House

I used to think these were the home of a Bower Bird
but it seems thats not so
Its the male who builds this and trys to entice the female
to come and live close by to there
and breed a family

Hence a Bower also being thought of as a lady's bedroom lol
BTW She builds her own nest way up in the tree tops lol

It would make a lovely Home wouldn't it
Tucked away in the forest - this one snapped by my Dh
was on a golf course - where else!!

9 comments:

  1. I think the male wren is to be greatly admired. He is supposed to build several nests so his wife can pick the one she likes best .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that owning versus renting makes all the difference.

    Great post - have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home is where the heart is,
    I really enjoyed your blog about woning one's home and renting. It was very interesting to read.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very fortunate to say that I live in a HOME, one that is made better by having such a dear family. And it is certainly not immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree a house might look nice and pretty but a home looks lived in and you always feel comfortable in a lived in home.
    We rent and certainly I make them feel like a home and everyone always says so....but it is so hard if you have to move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful having a home you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a magnet with that saying on my fridge, it's about 20 years old now and has moved around with me. I agree if you own your home it does feel different from when you rent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. When I was renting I didn't have to motivation to make it look nice at all. Now that I own, my apartment is exactly how I want it. I work from home too so I've set up a great office space. It makes a big different when you own :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking of writing about Home, you did it so well! There's
    no place like home!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy