About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6 - E

Letter E in the Blogging from A-Z April challenge

Entrances and Exits
Might be pushing this one a bit
there are some who might say they are called something else lol

Last week I had to go into the city
to return a grandchild to its parent
School Holidays lol
So it meant I was able to have a look around at some of the marvellous
Entrances and Exits
close to our main railway station

This is the Great West Door
of St Paul's Anglican Catherdral
http://rogerbrown.tripod.com/test/cathedral.html

From the outside
For a clearer view
click on these photos to enlarge



From the inside



The beautiful wide stepped entrance
making their way up to the doors of the Regent Theatre
with its fabulous window






A bank of three fabulous doors
to the Elevators or Lifts
as they are known in some parts of the world
in the Manchester Unity Building 

Flinders Street Station
An easily recognised entrance and exit in Melbourne
This is where I catch the train home
to my outer eastern suburb near the hills
If it stops at all stations along the way its nearly an hour
So I try to time it so I get an express:)


For many years this was the place to meet
'Meet you on the steps under the clocks'
was the saying
The clocks were related to each of the train lines
and gave the time of the next train on that line
and the platform it would leave from
Like all things these days its been replaced
by an electronic board inside the forecourt

And right across the road from the station
there ready to quench the thirst of many a weary traveller
on their way to work and on their way home
who even have their own wikipedia entry



This is also my post for My World Tuesday

14 comments:

  1. Ilove flinderstreet station. I could always find myway around Melbourne as long as I started from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous tour! Your photos are terrific, Cathy! Thanks for sharing a great part of your world! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A splendid post and the photo's are absolutely awesome.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying reading these posts and looking at the photos. I wonder what you will be doing for the "difficult" letters like Q and X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I just read someone else's blog post about doors and was thinking of entrances/exits so I say you are completely on track. What beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aloha,

    what a wonderful day today is visiting your corner of the world and seeing this church and station....thanks for showing this to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic!!! I totally Envy that you came up with Entrances & Exits! Fabulous photos as well!!

    Wonderful blog!! I love meeting fellow A-Z challengers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post Cathy, I was able to have glimpse of Melbourne. One day I will visit your beautiful country, thank you for sharing my friend......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also enjoyed visiting Melbourne through your post, as I've never had the pleasure of visiting your country in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh. Good old Flinders Street Station. Yes it was one of my teen meeting points too. God how I miss Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you're doing going through the alphabet! My granddaughter and I are cooking through the alphabet once a week. I enjoyed your photos of entrances and Exits!!!! Now I have to catch up on your A-Ds

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy