About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, April 2, 2010

April 3 - C (posted early)

Letter C in the Blogging from A-Z April challenge

These are the Dandenong Ranges that are to the east of Melbourne
You can faintly see the tv masts that serve Melbourne and surrounding areas 
The masts can be seen from so many nearby suburbs
and I've featured them in lots of posts

Todays letter is C and I could have chosen Cats
but decided that was a bit obvious for me
so chose to look at Clouds
These big fluffy ones below were over the hills on Wednesday
and just itching to be snapped

These photos were taken at the footy oval in Kilsyth
not far from where I live
and where you can get a long shot of the hills
And if I had rembered to use the panoramic setting on the camera
thats what you would have seen lol

to see these in more detail
click photos to enlarge 



Thinking about this post I did some reseach
(Some may remember I didn't know the name of the clouds in my last Skywatch post)
and discovered :

There are ten main cloud types, which are further divided into 27 sub-types according to their height shape, colour and associated weather,

Apart from their beauty and interest, clouds can provide a useful indication of weather conditions, and weather observers at some 500 locations around Australia send regular reports to Bureau of Meteorology forecasting Offices on cloud types, height, and the amount of sky covered.


A cloud is a visible mass of droplets, in other words, little drops of water or frozen crystals suspended in the atmosphere above the surface of the Earth or another planetary body. A cloud is also a visible mass attracted by gravity, such as masses of material in space called interstellar clouds and nebulae. Clouds are studied in the nephology or cloud physics branch of meteorology

There are lots of descriptions and photographs on these links 

This is a very basic site for children

Posted early as this is also my post for Skywatch Friday

7 comments:

  1. Although early I enjoyed your post about the clouds, Where would we be without them..lol
    Great work.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful pictures! LOVE the deep blue color of the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures. Clouds are so cool! Thanks for sharing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was a train going by in the photo, but when I clicked on it, its advertisements, in a park.

    Great shots.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful clouds.Makes you wanna go lay on the grass and just relax looking up at them

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful clouds...

    they're a rare treat here in Perth during the summer months ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think they do clouds as well anywhere as they do in Oz.

    Rayna

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy