About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 17 - O

Letter O in the Blogging from A-Z April challenge


There is one place I enjoy more than anywhere else
and that is Outside
meaning Outside the house in the great Outdoors
Just Outside my front door you will find this shrub

Oleander
aka nerium Oleander

Nerium oleander is a woody perennial, shrub that can be trained into a small tree in the early stages of growth. The trunk is smooth, grey in colour while the branches are semi-rubbery and pliable
Five-petal flowers of the straight species bloom in shades of white, yellow, pink and red

Grown all over the world
There is even an International Oleander Society
dedicated to this plant
this page on their site covers known history of the plant
and makes interesting reading

The Oleander is one of the easiest plants to grow in our climate
in fact it seems to grow well all over Australia
Its one of those pop in the ground and forget things
I have several of these plants growing along a wooden paling fence
down the side of the driveway
Mine grow tall and bushy - just the thing to cover unsightly objects
but there are dwarf varieties as well

They are easy to keep in check
Growing too far in one direction - just give it a short back and sides
I even chopped them almost to ground level once
so we could have some work done nearby
Within a short while they had shot up and were lovely and bushy again 

The sap is reputed to be poisonous
Don't test the theory
Use gloves or wash your hands to be on the safe side





Information from here

This is also my post for Todays Flowers
click here to see more

8 comments:

  1. I knew there was a flower called oleander. And I knew a flower such as this existed, which I did not know the name of.
    Now that you have matched name to flower, I am almost tempted to get the plant myself.

    ~ Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful write and amazing photo's. wonderful!!!!

    Enjoy your week-end,

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my ... those are beautiful blossoms! I LOVE looking at flowers but half the time my allergies make them impossible to truly enjoy them in person. Pictures are glorious though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I would have never thought about combining n and o together. I love the great outdoors too. I am attempting to grown things for the first time this year. I hope my thumbs aren't brown. :) Oleanders are beautiful. Great Job. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flower...does it have scent?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cathy, it's lovely!! I don't know that it would grow here in Virginia, but I wouldn't mind finding out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oleanders are just gorgeous, aren't they? Wish we could grow them here inthe UK. My parents have some in their villa in Spain, and I love them.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy