About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Watery Wednesday at Cahills Crossing


East Alligator River Crossing
aka Cahills Crossing
Northern Territory
Australia

Ford across East Alligator River where dangerous salt water crocodiles may be seen close - up or more safely from the track of the Manngarre Walk through a monsoon vine forest.

These photos were taken many years ago
in the Northern Territory
on a trip Dh and I took in 1992

We drove from Melbourne to Adelaide
where we hitched a ride
(both for us and the car)
on The Ghan to Alice Springs
- it only went that far then-
and made our way on up the Stuart Highway to Darwin


We came home slowly down 'the track'
visiting as much as we could along the way

Came across Cahills Crossing one day but didn't venture across
As the water is tidal and deceptive
its higher than you think
and the mention of 'swimming handbags'
on signs puts me off anything

click photos to enlarge 


Away from home for over a month
- it was a 'big birthday trip' for me -
we had a marvellous time
and will do it all again one day



To see more Watery Wednesday posts

12 comments:

  1. This looks like an interesting trip in the Northern Territory! I live on the Mornington Peninsula and the furthest west I have been is Adelaide some years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful! The concept of saltwater crocodiles is one that is quite difficult to grasp, isn't it? Being a Malaysian (lost in the UK), I grew up seeing and avoiding them in rivers and lakes. But never saltwater area...how bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fab trip. I sooo want to visit your side of the world but I just am not patient enough to last the plane journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks to me like you had a wonderful trip.

    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say I would blame you for not going across.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cathy, How I LOVE the territory !! Darwin in the dry...beautiful. We worked in the NT for 4 years and debated if we should sell our Adelaide property and move to Alice Springs permanently. Too late now..too old for that. Once you have lived in the REAL outback for a while, it calls you to come back, tugs at the heartstrings if you know what I mean. When I say REAL outback...where we were was 700km south west from Alice Springs, cant get much more isolated than that !! Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a fun trip away from home. Great photos! A month is great. I would like to be off work for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cathy!

    what a lovely trip that was for your birthday. I really like to explore the top end. Maybe someday..

    Thanks for the visit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice shots Cathy, thanks for sharing.

    All the best
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  10. dont think I would cross there
    interesting shots, thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely not attempt to cross, the sign said it all for me. What fun to have a month long adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On our first trip to Australia, we stayed up in Cape Tribulation, and saw one crocodile! Would we have passed over Cahill's Crossing once leaving here? It seems to ring a bell. x

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy