About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Skywatch Friday

Looking at archived photos
I found these funny 'scratchy' looking skies
taken in Proserpine Qld exactly 7 months ago

Taken into the sun
in the main street of town
The church tower has a bit of a menacing look about it

click on the photos for a clearer view

The sky still had that same look about it
visible through a grubby windscreen
all the way back to Bowen

Does anyone know the name for this sort of cloud formation?

11 comments:

  1. As I was scrolling down, and could only see the top half of the picture, "cemetary" and "head stone" popped into my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I always think of impending rain when I see this type of cloud formation. When I was a child all the "old Cockies" used this sign that it would rain in 2 days. They said it was the Shepherd bringing in the lambs for shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy, I know it as mackerel sky (supposed to look like fish scales) and as Olive says it's meant to mean rain (or snow) in 48 hours, but not always in SA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooohhhhh.....whenever I see the sky like that here in the UK, i'll get my winter outfit out cos it's a sure sign it'll snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have a church tower. I really like the fluffs of clouds. When I was young in Borneo, mum made her own mattress out of the cotton from the Kapok tree. These clouds look like the bags of the kapok when she takes them out to stuff the mattress.

    Now the kapok is back into fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that popcorn in your sky? I wonder what makes the sky look like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. scratchy looking is a good term for them, guess I don't look up enough, never seen them like that. I think I prefer the puffy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a wonderful sky, full of fluffy sheeps !

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have a look at my post you'll see that I've been trying to name clouds too! Cloudspotting book in hand, I think these are altocumulus stratiformis perlucidus.

    Whatever they're called, you've captured a great shot for Skywatch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know the name but it looks lovely! Get to see this kind of cloud formation, rarely here but whenever it does, the sky really looks stunning!

    Pixellicious Photos

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy