About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Past times

About this time of the year I get a bit down and need lots of cheering up
The seasons are changing which doesn't please me
but there is another reason also

February and March are months when I tend to look back
to the years when I lived at home with Dad and Mum
before I married
These are the months Mum and Dad died

As you can see from this photo my Dad loved to sing
He was Irish (mum also) so to us as a family
it meant we were always singing

Didn't matter when or where
he would sunddenly come out with some tune
and we would join in

This is him
entertaining the locals at his pub
'Give us a song Jim' they'd say

Always happy to oblige,
he'd be up like a shot and let them have it.

click on the photos to get a better look
A family story goes that he took Mum and me to the cinema
don't know when - I was quite young
- so  probably middle 40's just after the war -
Bing Crosby was in the film

Seems I decided in a quiet moment to come out with the words
'Daddy, that man sings just like you'
Had the audience in stitches

And he really could croon like Bing Crosby

There were all the rollicking Irish songs
he'd sing like the true patriot he was

And of course there were the fun ones like

Dad and Mum and the rest of my family
have lived in the north of England  
for a long time now

They chose to live there instead of returning to Belfast 
after Dad came out of the RAF in the early 60s

So when Dad died in 1990 it was decided
he would be buried in the graveyard
of a local C of E (Anglican) church in a nearby village  

Such a peaceful setting
I took these photos when I went back for the funeral

As I mentioned before, Dad liked (loved??) a pint
and spent quite a few evenings a week in his local pub
so he wasn't always in Mum's good books 

She thought it so funny that the white building
opposite the graveyard
in the next photo
was actually an old pub

Not Dad's local but a pub just the same

Ever since then we still talk about poor old Dad 
lying there dry as a bone 
and not being able to get over the road
for a drink 

And of course when Mum died a few years later
she had decided she'd share his plot 
to keep her eye on him lol

Even tho' there are no more plots left many of the 'used plots' have no headstones
so there is still an open look to place

This is also a sad time for Dh
His Mother and Father passed away in January and February respectively 

If you click on this link
you'll find a post I wrote about them all in 2008

6 comments:

  1. Cathy I know these anniversary dates can play havoc with our emotions, today is the date my late husband passed away and even after all these years it still brings an ache to my heart.
    I absolutely love Ireland, my ancestors come from there and I visited in 2008. My late husband was born in Middlesex, England.
    Really enjoy your blog, actually it is similar to mine writing about everyday things, family, friends and places.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I can certainly understand where your feelings and emotions are coming from. My Mom passed away 2 years ago, my dad 20 years ago. Time does heal the pain of the loss, but it never does go away completely, does it? I hope you find comfort and are uplifted in your memories of them and with those who care about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of your dad singing could be my dad singing. Our family was raised on song and the tradition lives on in each generation. Most of the family members have beautiful singing voices like my dad, but I do not. However, as my dad would say, "You can make a joyful noise."

    It sounds like you and I both were blessed by loving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture of your Dad, Cathy - he looks like a lovely man. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My month is April so I know what you mean about certain months just the same though Cathy it was a lovely post & tribute to your parents. My family are Irish as well.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy