About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Guess Who Came to Dinner


We had a visit from these two Cockies
a couple of weeks ago
They landed on nest doors nature strip 
where the dandelion heads were seeding
and had a whale of a time

I don't often see them at ground level 
they seem to prefer the tall gum trees close by
so I was indoors in flash for the camera

Didn't want to get too close tho
as they can move off at the least little noise
so I've cropped some of these photos
to enlarge them

It really looks like they were enjoying their meal tho lol

please click the photo to get an even better view 







Then 'trouble' turned up
The local Magpies arrived
and even tho they aren't seed eaters
they weren't too happy over the cockies being on 'their turf'

 
Mr Magpie swooped several times but was so fast
this is all I could catch


But look at the cocky - not in the least bit bothered
On;y raised his crest a little bit  
He just went on munching lol


The Sulphur-crested Cockatoo is a large white parrot. It has a dark grey-black bill, a distinctive sulphur-yellow crest and a yellow wash on the underside of the wings. Sexes are similar, although the female can be separated at close range by its red-brown eye (darker brown in the male). This is a noisy and conspicuous cockatoo, both at rest and in flight. Young Sulphur-crested Cockatoos resemble the adults.

Diet
Mid-morning the cockatoos usually feed on seeds on the ground, then during the hottest part of the day they sit in trees near the feeding area, stripping the leaves and bark. In the afternoon they feed again and then fly back to their roosting trees for the night. Each day they return to feed in the same area until the food supply is exhausted. They eat the seeds of grasses and herbaceous plants, grains, bulbous roots, berries, nuts and leaf buds.

 
To see more Camera Critters from around the world

9 comments:

  1. Great photos and great post Cathy. I would love those kind of birds landing in my garden. Adorable with great personalities I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, what beautiful birds!! I didn't know that they were "native" to your corner of the world--I can see why you enjoyed seeing them, I would too--They are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds are hard to get photos of, as you say, the slightest noise and they are usually gone. We have a pair that visit us fairly regularly, they are very funny to watch, especially their interaction with other birds.
    take care
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Cathy!! I would so love to have visitors like this in our garden. We have the lovely woodpecker once in a while but nothing as exciting as this. You've captured them so beautifully as well. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cockatoos are so gorgeous. I'm glad you ran for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures! They're very pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool , what a neat sighting. I love your cockatoos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine looking outside & seeing those kind of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pictures! they are really cute, and looks like they are definitely enjoying their meal :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy