About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Didn’t it rain children – didn’t it rain.

It most certainly did – on and on and on.

Victoria had lots of rain on Saturday Sunday and now Monday

Luckily the suburb where I live didn’t get the rest of the nasty stuff – no flooding, windows smashed by hailstones the size of tennis balls or lemons (depending on who was telling the story) gale force winds causing trees to be blown down as in some suburbs - just lots and lots of rain.

Melbourne copped a hiding on Saturday, the rain, the hail and the gale force winds did so much damage – Spencer Street Station (oops Southern Cross – I’ll never remember the name change) had its rather posh roof torn to smithereens, racing at Flemington was called off and the AFL game at Docklands (oops Etihad Stadium - another name change) was called of as well. Many Moomba activities were halted but all was not lost as the sun shone in the city this morning for the Parade down Swanston Street – which 2 days previously was under water lol

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1023204/major-storm-blankets-melbourne-like-snow
http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/03/melbournes-storm-causes-damage-to.html

We made the overseas newspapers:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7394608/Super-storm-and-giant-hailstones-lash-Melbourne.html

And a wikipedia entry lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Melbourne_thunderstorm

I’m not sure what will happen now, SES workers are out in force all over the city and parts of the state, we’ve even had some arrive from interstate to help out - its estimated the weekend storm caused over 200 million dollars worth of damage and there will be about 40 thousand insurance claims eventuating from it.

Hope Linda Jen and Merle who all live in the north of the state are ok.  From what we hear Shepparton took a lot of rain overnight.

Back in 1906 the Australian poet Dorothea MacKellar wrote a poem called 'I love a sunburnt country' part of which goes like this:

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me.

Well we’ve had the drought - now its time for the flooding rain.  So much of Queensland and New South Wales are in flood at the moment they have been declared Natural Disaster areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy