About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Open for business

Hello again 
The New Year has well and truly started - Melbourne came alive today as many workers went back to work, most small businesses and offices opened their doors and manned their phones for the first time since Christmas.  There certainly seemd to be more traffic on the road even the bin men came at 6am this morning and not at the later time they seem to have kept recently (of course it possible they change their round every now and again)

As I mentioned before I've been doing a bit of purging - stuff from cupboards that is - and with the cooler weather we had this past week I've been spending time using up meats from the freezer.  Those that seemed to have been there for a while have now been turned into meals and refrozen.  Our fruit and veg place had a load of plums reduced before the holidays so I bagged a few kilos and they were stewed and frozen in small quantities ready for a quick dessert.  Lovely with vanilla yogurt or ice cream - does anyone know if you can freeze yogurt at all without it separating?

We promised Dh's aunt in Canada we'd be back for another visit this year - this will be our sixth time and there always something new to see so we've been jigging the finances to try and secure as much extra cash as we can in the next six months.  Looks like I'm going to continue my thrifty frugal lifestyle of make do and mend lol  Hopefully we can fit in a trip to Newfoundland while we are there - its not that far from Nova Scotia where she and the rest of the family live and we are'nt sure if we'll ever be back again so might as well aim for that as a special treat.

I started walking again this morning - the gym hours are almost back to normal so I can combine the two activities and get really fit once more.  Remember all those kilos I lost last year, well a few have found their way home so it looks like I'm going to have to get serious again and get rid of them for good lol

It was a lovely morning just right for walking local streets - see there in the first picture, its those TV masts again:)

We'd been talking about a fence for our fornt garden recently so I began to look at the ones I walked past.  Not sure whether I actually want one or not so took photos, carefully so I didn't upset anyone who might have thought I was spying on them
please click photos for a clearer view


Lots and lots of Pickets Fences
all shapes and styles


Covered gate arbours seem to be popular









Then there were iron railing type fences



various styles
some very basic

othere more fancy



more wooden styles
although these seem to be older and deteriorate quite quickly




Then theres the tin ones that are becoming more popular


I think this person was trying to do it on the cheap lol

Years ago I wanted a Brush Fence
but changed my mind when local hooligans were setting fire to them
By the look of this one I think local kids have been trying to climb it



So by the time I got home I decided I really didn't want a new one after all
I will make do with my natural one
- the one that flowers all summer long -
Doesn't need painting or repairing
just a haircut when those lovely big blue blooms die







7 comments:

  1. These pictures are great. I am very interested in some fencing near our house. I like privacy fencing but don't really want that because I want passers by to be able to see anyone who might be lurking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope you get to Newfoundland. They are unique among Canadians. There have only been a part of Canada since 1949 and they had a long often isolated history before that as a British colony. They speak a colourful version of the English language. The Aussies in my estimating remain the most colourful!

    A lovely look at the fences. Everything looks so neat and tidy. I guess a couple of strand of barbed wire is out of the question.

    Around here a lot of people like cedar hedges the cedar grows well here and can be trimmed to make it thick and well shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What interesting and beautiful fences. I love fences.

    Yes, Newfoundland is merely a ferry ride from Nova Scotia. If I remember correctly, it takes maybe 8-10 hours on the ferry. Newfoundland is a land like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you cathy, the natural fence is the best. Good luck with the kilos, with the walking they should come off again quickly.
    I envy you your trip, I'd love to travel but hubby is happiest at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The agapanthus look great as your "front fence", and you really don't want to be digging up their super strong root systems. I use them to stabilise parts of my semi-vertical section.

    My folks have a dear friend who calls them "Agathapanthus" - this name has stuck with us!

    I'm enjoying frugal living (necessity for me) - just took a loaf of "no knead" bread out of the oven and now I'm off to a wool sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your natural fence, its lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! I adore you theme of fences! I love the picket fences, and the wrought iron best for residential - they are so different from one another though, aren't they. But the split rail fences are so rustic and charming. Don't keep much in or out, but they're lovely. Never saw a brush fence before... thanks for the introduction! The bottom two photos are your house? Oh girl... don't touch a thing! What you have is far more lovely than any fence that will be expensive and require lots of maintenance.

    PS: I lost a few "kilos" myself last year and now I'm trying to find my way to maintaining without constantly going up and down. So far I'm holding my own, but it sure doesn't get any easier. I guess my mind will always constantly be registering every time I open my mouth. Time to get off my butt and go move!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy