About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Keeping in touch -Town and Country

This is the front of a card I received for Christmas
It was from someone in England and when it arrived I laughed
Seriously hoping it wasn't going to be like that
as things sort of don't go right
when they have snow and bad weather lol

Little did I know it would be like that over the holiday period
Snow Snow and more Snow:))

Looking at the older style of post and phone box reminded of when I was a child in England
and the way we used to keep in touch
long before mobile phones and the internet 


Not too many of us had a phone in our homes
and there seemed to be a phone box on lots of corners
Same as the post boxes - they seemed to be all over the place

Doesn't appear to be the way these days tho'
Like policemen there isn't one around
on the rare occasion you might need one lol 

Now my mind works overtime some days
and this card reminded me of photos
I'd taken last September
on our trip to Queensland

In a little place on the Kidman Way 
we stopped for a loo break at a pub
Called Mt Hope its the only stopping place
on that road between Cobar and Hillston 

'The stretch between Hillston and Cobar is long, straight and unbroken except for the pub-and-service station-town of Mount Hope. It’s about an hour from Hillston, two more to Cobar, so call into the hotel for a soft drink and a rest stop. If there are locals in the bar, they’ll be happy to chat, as is the publican. '


This is the road in from Cobar



and this is the road out towards Hillston



and this is the pub - the Royal Hotel

Not a sign of life there at 10.11am when we drove in
so we nipped into the loos (at the side on the outside)
and went on our way


But this is what I wanted to show you

I think that might be the service station mentioned in the article
Not exactly a road house
but I'm sure they would have the necessary fuel if needed

And there in the middle of nowhere
on the road behind the pub
beside the petrol pump
is an Australia Post mail box


and on the corner to the right
is a Telstra Phone Box


Phone boxes are becoming a rare sight
on street corners
these days lol
and I'm not sure how many times a week
the mail man comes and empties that box
but to see one out in the bush had me laughing
all the way down that long straight road to Hillston


12 comments:

  1. The times...they are achangin'! I sometimes long for the simpler, less hectic life we all used to have....... wishin' won't make it so. Seems like such a short time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy, Do you remember the days when we set in a phone box and closed the door for privacy? My how things has changed!lol
    Have a great new yr.!
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy

    Happy New Year! Lucky you to be on the road, exploring this wide brown land of ours! Safe travels,

    Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,

    Enjoyed your photos. We don't have many phone booths left here either and postal boxes are becoming rare as well. Service sure isn't like it used to be. Thanks for sharing these photos from your trip.

    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old phone boxes. We even had some just like that here in Oz.
    But now even if there is a phone in the neighbourhood, its usually out of order due to vandals
    Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, trying to find a public telephone box is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Its the same over here in Canada. Everyone is "expected" to have cell phones.

    Same with mail boxes they are few and far between as well. Great post, and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I too miss seeing phone boxes... of any description.
    I think it is a shame that we assume that everybody is using technology when in fact they're not and are just suffering because of it.

    best wishes for the new year
    Ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Back when I was small, not everyone had a phone. During World War II, my Grandmother had one, and you had to turn a handle on the side to get the operator. Also she knew each ring of the people on her party line, I think there must have been about 12. Some had a long ring some a short ring, some one of each or two of one kind. We finally got one when I was in my early teens, we had to dial the operator and tell her the number we wanted, except for local calls, we could dial ourself if we knew the number. But when Abe and I first married, we lived in a small town, 1955, not everyone had a phone, most of us went to the grocery store to use their phone which was sitting out so people could use it and if the call was long distance, we told the operator we needed to know the charge, that way we paid the grocery. Actually we never had a phone in our home (Abe and myself) until 1962 when we moved to this home. We have only a light layer of snow here, but the temp is 2 above zero, very nippy out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for visiting my blog, Cathy, and leaving a comment. I appreciate it. It's great to hear from an Australian. As you might have noticed in my banner, my husband and I visited Australia in 2008. It was a life-long dream, and we finally did it. We loved it there: Melbourne, Alice Springs, Cairns, and Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sometimes see the red phones boxes still but not so often. We are certainly seeing plenty of snow etc at the moment thoug. Send us over a bit of your spare sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice that you stopped by my blog. I too had to chuckle over the lone mail box out in the middle of "nowhere". We have no had phone booths here for many years, they were replaced by small phone kiosks and they too are fast disappearing. We do have quite a few mailboxes here and there though. I can remember making a phone call or two from a phone booth and yes, closing the door for privacy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to you Cathy! Times are changing so fast these days, I remember old phone boxes and it does not seem that long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy