About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Inside my head

You know how words and music of songs can go round and round inside your head -  just appear out of nowhere and stay for a while and can be annoying, well sometimes for me there have been times when they arrive 'cose of something I've heard or read.

So many of the Northern Hemisphere blogs are making mention of the harsh cold winter being experienced up there and each time I read of that awful weather, I find these words and the music make an appearance inside my head.  I've never heard it sung with the Christmas carols down here in Australia but it certainly was on the hymn board in England.

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold him, nor earth sustain;
heaven and earth shall flee away when he comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
but his mother only, in her maiden bliss,
worshiped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him: give my heart.

Christina G. Rossetti, 1830-1894

This is a link to Wikipedia entry on the carol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Bleak_Midwinter

They have a third verse which I don't ever remember hearing/singing but maybe the memory isn't that good and I've forgotten.  I do remember the very mournful haunting tune we used to sing it too tho'

Do any of you know it?

7 comments:

  1. Its new to me but the words are very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathy! Greetins fron Casa Hice!

    It was so kind of you to visit my humble little blog and leave such a sweet message. Made my day. So I'm here to return the favor and to see what's happening on your side of the globe. Pesky songs looping through the noggin? Well, if it's going to repeat, it might as well be a Christian song. Beautiful hymn, Cathy.

    I'm a Christian gal too. A believer, a follower of the most precious Faith, but I can also be a little naughty and irreverent. I hope that will never offend you. See, my spiritual side is a very private part of me. I don't slather it on and soapbox a lot, but you can believe I love my Lord and am greatly blessed. My sisters - both whom I adore - get a little preachy sometimes, a little longwinded about things and I see how tricky a business it is to impose our beliefs on others. Especially on a blog with such a wide audience. On the other hand... it's an audience ripe for the picking. So you'll see a reference to my faith or my beliefs once in awhile, but nothing too heavy.

    You caught me on a day I was being whiny and self-indulgent. If I could "hook you" then, I guess I must be pretty clever. LOL! But, honestly, I am so happy you found me so I could find you back. And I look forward to getting better acquainted and spending more time with you - here in your dandelion fields and back at the Casa. Have a wonderful day.

    Alix Hice

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a regular in our carol service before Midnight Mass. The tune really is hauntingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of it!
    Hope you're having a great wk.
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy, what a lovely post and that is one of my favorite hymns. I have known it since childhood. The words are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it and for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for thinking of us in the cold Northern Hemisphere! Brr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone
    It seems to be that this carol/hymn is only known to those with an English background.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy