About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bits and pieces

We have loads of vistors in Melbourne at the moment
'cose the Australian Open is being played at The Tennis Centre
Being a Grand Slam Event all the big stars are here

After knocking Lleyton Hewitt out of the tournament
Mr Cool - Roger Federer
has just survived another long game
four sets this time to defeat Nicolay Davydenko

Venus Williams lost her game today but sister Serena is still in there

The major sponsor of this tournament is a car company with a 3 lettered name
In one of its ads at the moment Todd Woodbridge
a really nice former Australian tennis player
is sitting in an umpires chair

Each time I see this ad
I keep thinking about this fabulous 'one of a kind' Umpires Chair
that we saw at the Warburton Tennis Club
on one of those days we drove out there

Look at it - isn't it special
I have no idea who made or when but I'm sure its special to the club
and they'd be sad to lose it



Todays been one of those tidy up the corners days
Australia Day has been and gone
which means the year now starts proper

Most schools goes back next week after the summer holidays
I tried to get into the hairdressers today but no luck
So many girls getting  their hair tidied up before next week
that there were no spaces for the regulars lol

With the school year starting it means the youngest member of the family
will be moving on - to 'big school' aka Primary School

This is Daniel - our youngest grandson
and also the youngest member of the family
He turns 5 early in February

And this is his 'graduation photo'

I don't know whether to laugh or be annoyed at what they are doing these days
but this was taken on his last day at Kinder/Preschool


I was told this ceremony is not just for those graduating at the end of their education
but can be used for anyone.
It seems that as Daniel and his friends were graduating
from their first educational level
it was a time for celebration
and this is the way this establishment did it.
It still looks over the top to me
but maybe not all of you will agree

8 comments:

  1. Yes, over the top, I agree. If we do all this celebrating so soon and too often I think it loses its meaning!
    Cheers. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was at the Australian Open!

    Most in my area (Mississippi, USA) have about three graduations in grammer school. 1. First Grade 2. Graduation of Jr. High and acceptence into High School. and 3. High School.

    Yes it is over the top, but that's not the point. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here we have graduation usually only from Junior High Grade 8 into High School and then High School Graduation and after completion of four years of College another graduation! More than enough for me! It used to be just High School graduations and College graduations, now its becoming more and more prevalent. Will the child be bored with all the graduations by the time they leave High School?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget the kids are on their Summer Holidays at the moment with you guys. Meanwhile its freezing cold and snowing again here in Canada!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree: over the top. Of course American kindergartens do it this way, too. We tend to inflate self-esteem way out of reasonable bounds before an individual has actually done anything noteworthy for him/her to take pride in. Self-esteem without accomplishment seems pretty empty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Cathy ~~ Love that umpire's
    chair and the picture of your grandson is so delightful. It seems a
    bit soon to celebrate. Whatever.

    Thanks for your comments on my post
    and I agree the cricket is a bit one-sided, but we have got a few new players who show promise. I will be watching tomorrow and I hope the 20/20 matches are more even.
    Take care my friend, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send warm weather my way!We're suppose to get aup to a ft. of snow tomorrow!;o(
    What a Handsome Grandson!
    Have a great day!
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandson is a handsome young fellow. Let's hope the graduation ceremony is not the last in his lifetime. ;)

    The white stoll is a bit over the top. Is his tassle on the correct side. After you get your diploma it is moved from the right to the left, (or is it left to right) Whatever it is here: it will probably be the opposite "down under".

    After a two week warm spell with the temperature around freezing it is dropping to -30 C tonight. Think warm thoughts for us.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy