About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Waterbirds at Benalla

Yesterday when I was talking about the Broken River that runs through Benalla, Ellen asked if we'd seen any waterbirds. 
There were quite a few swimming around, some I knew others I didn't.

The first one was new to me, so I had a quick look around the web
and found out its called a Coot

The Eurasian Coot is recognised by its snowy white bill and forehead shield.
The remainder of the bird is dark sooty grey, except for its bright red eye
If you enlarge the first photo you will see the red eye more clearly






The Mallards I knew





But had to look around the web to discover that
Muscovies are easily distinguished from other breeds by their faces
 which are devoid of feathers, bright red, flashy and carnunculated (lumpy)







I saw this great big white duck with a yellowy orange beak
which someone told me had the grand name of an

Unlike other ducks, the Indian Runner does not waddle but rather the position of its legs gives them a characteristic running motion.Another peculiarity of the Indian Runner Duck is its shape which is described as being like a wine bottle. They also have long, snake-like necks. When wandering around they walk flat but stand upright when disturbed 



Then there was this goose
(of unknown origin)
Looking so angelic swimming about in the water


He kept coming to the edge and looking up and over
watching all that was happening


Once out he seemed to think he was 'In Charge'
He kept rounding everyone up

(You can see the long shape of the Indian Runner in these photos)






It was quite funny to watch
Made a lovely interlude in our day out

please click on these photos and see the enlargement

9 comments:

  1. A lovely series of ducks Cathy. You have identified one that I took photos of but never knew what they were, the ones of the Muscovy ducks. It's been lovely catching up today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could sit and watch them for hours. I just love ducks and geese! I always pretend I know what they are talking about to each other LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog and LOVE your pictures today of all the ducks & geese! Some I've never seen before and are quite interesting! Thanks for sharing!! :-)
    -Kim-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ducks and the goose... the coot looks mean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! I always wanted a white duck with a yellow beak and people always said 'thats a goose' but I knew there was a duck like that!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I may try to see them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting array of ducks, some of which I've never even heard of before! The mallard is about the only kind we see around here. I love feeding them bird seeds whenever I can:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have quite a variety of ducks there. Most of the ones I see here in Canada are mallards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting! The Indian Runner Duck is the most common variety of ducks in my old country.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy