About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Todays Flowers - Dec 09


Zygocactus
aka Schlumbergera
also
Christmas Cactus

These hardy pot plants seem to grow wherever you want them to
Break a piece off and pot it up
and very soon you'll have a new plant

My plants have have all been started as cuttings
taken from friends or neighbours plants
They are growing in containers that hang over the railing of the deck
and are happy there most of the year
but I do put them in the shade
if the sun gets too hot

If the timing is right and they all bloom together
it looks like a ribbon of pink all the way along

Up in the Northern Hemisphere they are often called Christmas Cactus
'cose thats when they seem to flower


Not so down here - these photos were taken in October
right at the end of Winter, beginning of Spring
At first the plants seem to be a jumble of gnarly stems with a flower at the end
but if you really look
you will see they have the most delicate of blooms growing there
beautiful flowers that look lovely when in a massed display





For more Flowers from around the world

6 comments:

  1. What lovely flowers! I love "Christmas Cactus" and even have 2 small ones, but nothing that matchesthe beauty of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, a beautiful and delicate bloom on this very interesting plant. Thanks Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's neat that they grow outside. My Christmas Cactus flowers last month?? It also flowered in July, it's clock is all out of whack!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are Beautiful,never seen one as big and Lovely as yours!
    Have a great wk.
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Zygocactus certainly is spectacular and you have presented it so well too.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy