About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Peaceful Day

Part of the Christmas message is for
Peace on Earth
and
Goodwill to all Men
Thats just how things seemed to go
with my family
on Christmas Day

As we had already had our family gathering it was a bonus for us when one son and one daughter with their families managed to pop over and see us on that special morning
Talking on the phone during the day to the son whose life is unhappy at the moment I could hear sounds in the background that told me his partner and the children had made time for them to be together with each other
We spoke with other family during the morning and sent our love and best wishes winging around Australlia and the world. 
So when I was feeling rested and on top of the world Dh and I packed up our simple Christmas Lunch and drove up to Warburton to eat on the banks of the river. I'd chopped and sliced the night before so it didn't take long to fill the esky and start the car. 
Cold Chicken, Lamb and Ham along with various salads, followed by Christmas Pudding and Vanilla Yogurt. To nibble on after that I'd taken several cheeses and crackers as well as a container of chopped and prepared fresh fruit - Grapes, Cherries, Strawberries, Kiwi Fruit oh and the Watermelon, Honeydew and Canteloupe.  It was to be washed down with a couple of beers for Dh and some Lambrusco for me - but I fogot to put them in the car- so we made do with the hot chinese green tea I'd made and put in the pump pot for in case it turned cold lol

This is the spot we chose
beside the Yarra River in Warburton
There was green grass, a warm breeze and cool water flowing by
Quiet and Peaceful



We drove home the pretty way, meaning not straight home, but out from Warburton and up via Reefton to Maysville the town that we lost last February on that awful Black Saturday
In places some of the forest has begun to regenerate,  the tree ferns have shot up again here and also on the Melba Highway but there were patches along this road where the poor blackened Mountain Ash looked as though the fires had gone through quite recently instead of 10months ago
This part of the road was confronting - I took these photos of the same spot one minute apart - the light had changed giving a slightly different look to the scene.  This stretch was near Cambarville not far from the Lake Mountain turn off 





I felt quite upset as we drove down the hill into Marysville, again it was a confronting sight seeing the streets in the liitle town with no houses or shops there, I found it hard trying to remember where each of the businesses were and I felt a little guilty as we looked around almost as if I was prying, I couldn't bring myself to take photos
So it was a quiet drive back along the Maroondah Highway over The Black Spur and then down into Healesville and home

If you read from these sites you will see the way the residents are getting on with life

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend Christmas Cathy and your photos were great. Thanks for giving us a look-in. Had a wonderful time visiting. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely spot for christmas lunch so relaxing, lucky you left the alcohol at home it would have put me to sleep after such a quiet lunch and a full belly...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place and how lovley to take your Christmas lunch there.
    Wishing you all the best for you and your family at this time of year.
    Take care
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly a great way to spend Christmas. We were quiet here,too except for many phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picnic site is so beautiful and peaceful! Glad you had such a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a wonderful day. I feel the same about marysville. I cant bring myself to even visit as I have such lovely memories of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a look at the tree ferns, I have fond memories of those in the general area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your experience is similar to mine when I visited Flowerdale in October.

    We had photos in the local newspaper only last week as there was a close call here for a few people, last minute wind changes and a drop of fire retardant just in the nick of time, but I think two homes were lost still.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy