About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Todays Flowers - Nov 09 - 3

Clematis
which believe it or not belongs to the
Buttercup - Ranunculaceae family

The other weekend we went to visit friends in Clombinane
They have a beautiful garden
- very old -
their house is reputed to be one of the oldest in the district
It suffered a lot during the ghastly hot summer we had earlier this year
As well as nearly coming to grief when those awful bushfires in February came right up to the back fence

They didn't think this old clematis (of unknown origin) would survive
But it did
and is slowly growing back up an archway
She tried to explain to me what were the petals
and what were the sepals
but all I could see
was that what I thought were the petals on the flowers
were spaced quite widely
And were in various shades of lavender.
I'd like to share them with you






Here are some gardening links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clematis




To view more of Todays Flowers
from around the world

12 comments:

  1. I love this vine but could never get mine to grow very well in Fayetteville. Will try here this spring and see if I can get one to grow up the porch post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy! What an interesting and fun blog you have!! I love clematis, and when we moved to the country I left behind mine that had been growing for 10 years. I went by our old house the other day and it doesn't look that great..I also enjoyed reading about the "Willy Wagtail!" what a cutie!! :-)))

    -Kim-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love clematis. I have a couple that grow over my trellis in spring and summer. By fall they are flowing the electric wires. We have cut them back but they always try to make a break for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for lovely photos. Enjoyed viewing them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love clematis. I have a couple of them, they are bravely trying to survive in the rocky ground that is in front of the building. They haven't vined well, but I am hoping next Spring will be the year they take off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, found your blog through camera critters, but had to comment this gorgeous clematis!! It's stunning!!! I have planted a clematis when we moved here two years ago and it's actually survived two winters and blooms so nicely in the summer...I'm so pleased!!
    Completely envious of your warm sunny weather, it's winter,dark,grey, and gloomy in Norway right now..haven't seen the sun in several days..so it was nice to see it in your beautiful photos!!
    Greetings from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful! My sister in law has a similar on, the same color - and it looks so beautiful against the wall on the house. Love the two last shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my clematis vines...my mother gave me my Henri i ten years ago...I have moved it three times. It is finally and forever home...beautiful photos!
    xo
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome! mine is up. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the close up shots, so pretty. I don't have any clematis in this garden...........yet!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy