About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm beginning to think I don't matter anymore

It happened again today. 
October 12th 2009
My birthday - yes another year older
but definitely not deeper in debt lol

The phone rang this morning and I answered it pleasantly

We are a market research company, could you spare a few minutes
Certainly says I
Depending on your answers it won't take long
Thats fine says I
Could you tell us about your employment situation
Are you working full time, part time, casual,
if unemployed are you looking for work

I laughed and said jokingly - Oh I gave that up years ago
Sorry - Pardon
I'm retired
OH goodbye

I'm standing there stunned
Don't I matter anymore
My answers obviously weren't what they were looking for
Am I of no use, isn't there any interest in my opinion,
even to a market research company

A similar thing happened last week
started by going through various age groupings
when I indicated which I belonged to there was a curt goodbye
Left me short of words

Well I said a few to the silent phone
Wish I'd had the quickness to say them to the caller
before they rang off!!

One of my girls gave me a birthday card this morning
with lots of happenings for today
October 12th

1492 Christopher Columbus discovered America
That was one of the things we learnt in school in England
I have always remembered that one
'cose if you rearrange the year you get my birth year!!
OOPs TMI lol

Sadly its also the anniversary of what is known as
The Bali Bombings 2002
202 People - of which 88 were Australian - lost their lives
209 were injured
RIP


Oh well back to being invisible again

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I belong to the invisible and opinion-less category since retiring, too. Perhaps we should keep a razzberry cushion by the phone and blow it very loudly at the researcher!

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I saw that you had a birthday celebration today also [from Mary's Writing Nook]...

    Hope your day is super.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday Cathy. By the way its also Canadian Thanksgiving! LOL. At least you don't have a Christmas birthday!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Cathy! All your blog and friends and neighbors don't think you are invisible!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many happy returns!
    I wish I could get rid of the nuisance callers so quickly!
    I might try that... just fib a little. :o)
    Hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I wish those survey people would stop calling to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi and happy birthday! Thanks for stopping by my blog. When survey people call our home--especially during the dinner hour--we like to give insane answers just to skew the results. Naughty, but fun!

    So nice to meet you--you're not invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CATHY!!!!

    I think you matter and you are not invisibile - after all aren't retirees the biggest group in or society at the moment????? I would lthink your voice and views would be most pertinent.

    Anyway hope you had a lovely day

    daisymum

    ps; Sorry i have been absent for so long trying to find "the balance" again - and failing miserably hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations or condolences I guess - take your pick. I don't celebrate my birthday anymore but I am retired! Forced retirement but still!

    I think my opinion still counts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, and you do matter.
    Thanks for the instructions will try them out and let you know how they go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday cathy, i think everyone s opinions count. most of those calls are annoying anyway.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have signed up for surveys that pay. I don't qualify very often. I haven't bought a recent vaccum cleaner, nor a fridge, my kids don't wet the bed, I forget the other things that I thought made me not qualify. I think we don't work in the right industry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday for yesterday. I hope all your family spoilt you and treated you well.

    Spring again here - wet then sunny then cloudy and always windy. Of course our weather rolls on what ever just happened in Aussie and seas we share, lol!

    Warm cuddles and huggles, Michelle and Zebbycat (from, once again, under his quilt)xxx and purrrrumbling

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday for yesterday. I hope all your family spoilt you and treated you well.

    Spring again here - wet then sunny then cloudy and always windy. Of course our weather rolls on what ever just happened in Aussie and seas we share, lol!

    Warm cuddles and huggles, Michelle and Zebbycat (from, once again, under his quilt)xxx and purrrrumbling

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy