About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

A fun time was had by all

I haven't said much about my Aunt recently,
As even tho' she has been in the nursing home for a few months now
she is still very unsettled and almost withdrawn

I am grateful for the loving care she is receiving
yet feel there has to more that I can give

I visit when I can and if its dry outside
I take her for walks in the wheelchair along the main road
She can look at the traffic and also in peoples gardens
We 'talk' about the flowers and the cars
I try to get her to tell me the names of the plants and describe them
- colours and shape -
but her memory is really going and she just gets flustered

Unfortunately over the past month or two
she has become so uncoordinated
 I now find it difficult to transfer her into the car
so going for  a ride is now a thing of the past

Even tho' the wheelchair taxi is very unreliable
- they come when it suits -
when the weather is better
 my cousin and I hope to manage to take her out
 maybe for lunch at one of the larger shopping centres
There are some nice little cafes in one close by
and then we can walk round
and she can look in the shop windows

Also if there are the two of us there to entertain her
it won't be such a problem if we do have to wait
for the taxi to came for the return journey

Now last night I took my Aunt to a dance
Yes in her Nursing Home

The staff organised an evenng for al the residents
They asked for some nice clothes to be there for the evening
ladies had long lasting hairdo's (I think the rollers stayed in for hours lol)
Make up on and off we went



Down to the largest day room
- called the Ballroom for the night -
decorated beautifully with fairy lights and balloons


and we listened to a Glenn Miller tribute band

And we danced:))

Carers who weren't on duty came in and helped out
Carers who were on duty kept coming down to see what was going on
It was only the really infirm who were in their rooms
and one carer stayed on the floor all the time

Wheelchairs were wheeled round in time to the music
Those who could move were on their feet
- some gently swaying -
others having a fine old time
Lots of family and friends there
young and old

There was wine and beer and soft drinks
There was finger food and cakes and pastries

and at the end of the night
This lady who has been so unhappy
went to bed with a smile on her face



And 'this' lady
who has also been so upset
'cose the other lady has been so upset
drove home with tears in her eyes
'cose the other lady was so happy:))

4 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy,
    That is wonderful!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how absolutely wonderful that you were able to bring her to that dance, she certainly looks very happy in the pictures:-) It's always so heartbreaking to see loved ones go into a nursing home and not adjust to it right away. Some thrive with all the other people around them but others just don't.

    Three Little Witches

    One little, two little, three little witches
    Fly over haystacks and fly over ditches
    Fly over moonbeams without any hitches
    Hey, it's Halloween night.
    One little, two little, three little witches
    Fly over barb wire and tore their britches
    Had to go home and get some stitches
    Hey, it's Halloween night!! hehe

    Happy Halloween dear Cathy:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cathy that is wonderful that the nursing does that for them I bet they all had a great night.
    Nice to see a smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Cathy,
    what a wonderful time you shared with your special Aunty. She looks so happy in the 4th photo. I think I'd have enjoyed dancing away the evening in that beautifully decorated room too.

    Sending care and huggles, Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy