About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Small world

Being away from home means I am using Internet cafes or the local library to catch up on all those 'important' things. Banking can be done on the phone and also keeping in touch with the family but I like using the keyboard (makes me feel less guilty about not writing in the latter case lol) so I pop in every few days and sit alongside various other people who also frequent these places.

Lots of youngsters at my favourite cafe - there are backpackers galore in this part of Queensland (Bowen), they work in the local fruit and veg and fishing industries picking and the like making cash to be able to move on and see more of Australia.

Of course the other generation sitting here are all the oldies - the grey nomads - who move up from southern states to spend the winter in the sun lol

Anyway you don't actually look at what is on their screens - not good etiquette - but sometimes you can't help but see whats there - and imagine - and I'm not sure why I should be surprised - 2 days in a row I've seen Rhonda Jean's face looking out at me lol

I'd checked in on her earlier so knew what the page looked like on those days. Today amongst other bits and pieces she is talking about the dog biscuit recipe she uses, look at the samples she has on the plate and see the dog shaped one:))

To me the really awesome thing in my mind when I glanced at the users was that these weren't older readers either - in fact one was really quite young, more like a teenager. I'm not suggesting Down to Earth would have a certain type of reader but that at long last there is a voice out there that is being heard.

Have to go - the water and lovely sandy Queens Beach is calling.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely to have a post from you Cathy. Thank goodness for those Internet Cafes. How was that dip at Sandy's Beach? Going to check out Down to Earth now. I hope she's in your side-bar. Keep having a great time up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ups, just found Rhonda's link in your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda Jean is no 1 top Australian women blogger at the moment, so I guess they would find her from that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder how that blog became so far reaching. There are people who don't get around the web much and very insulated from the world possibly and they visit Rhonda Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy

    I've been following Rhonda Jean's blog since I found it late last year. She has certainly inspired some changes in my life.

    Glad you're having a good time. Hope that beach is Croc-free!


    care and huggles, Michelle and Zebbycat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy,
    Hope you're having a good time ! Queen's Beach sounds delightful . i can also hear it calling !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gday Cathy, Sounds like your having a wonderful time up north, watch out for the jelly fish as you dip your toes in the water,I used to one of those grey nomads and loved going north for winter,, enjoy yor holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could do with a visit to a beach now! The sun is shining and I'd like nothing more. I hope you are having a lovely time! I;ve never beeninto an Internet Cafe... I'll add it to my 'to-do' list! Enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're having a good time in sunny Qld! I read your earlier post about saving for your holiday. We've recently been to the NT - I saved (budgeted) for 2 years for this and we had a fabulous holiday as a result. Have a good swim! By the way, I do internet banking but I still use an accounting type book for all our budget lines and enter everything manually even though I'm doing a TAFE computer accounting course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you're having a good time in sunny Qld! I read your earlier post about saving for your holiday. We've recently been to the NT - I saved (budgeted) for 2 years for this and we had a fabulous holiday as a result. Have a good swim! By the way, I do internet banking but I still use an accounting type book for all our budget lines and enter everything manually even though I'm doing a TAFE computer accounting course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just enjoy yourself and know that we're here waiting on your return!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of small worlds - I can't believe how close we came to one another without realising! That would have been us you spoke to on the beach at Bowen. I remember the brief conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy