About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lavender round the washing line

In the comments recently somebody mentioned the Lavender growing round the washing line
Nostaligia aside the reason I planted it there (and it could have been anything) was to form a barrier between me and the pole that holds the line up:)
I have a habit of walking in to things and this was an idea I'd used elsewhere to make me aware of where I actually was putting my feet. I'd used the idea in another form in a different house to make little grandchildren aware of the post and not run into it
This photo was taken back in 1994 when it was quite young.
We actually had green grass in those days lol

As you can see its grown quite tall and bushed out lots

I used some old bricks to form a circle a distance a way from the pole
Filled the circle with a few bags of potting mix
and then planted some tiny tubes with established cuttings
and hoped for the best.
That particular spot was a hard place to get grass to grow so I used some big broken slabs of concrete I came across
(courtesy of our council when they were digging up a pathway)
and put crazy paving in the plcae I stand to hang/peg out the clothes
Its just visible in the left of the next picture
This is the side away from the light which doesn't do as well as the other
but I do tend to keep it bare in that spot so I can get in to do a bit of weeding and clear the oak leaves away so the rain can penetrate
In the early spring I give the whole lot a good haircut and a drink of Seasol and wish it luck for the rest of the season
It thrives in a hot summer like the one we just had and the flower heads at the moment are really plump
I love the look and smell of it when its in flower but
funnily I get annoyed if the washing actually brushes against it lol

7 comments:

  1. I really love lavender. You have a lot more of it than I do. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea to have lavender around the washing line. I would love to do this around mine. I can see more concrete slabs coming up! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gday Cathy, Nows thats a great idea, no more bumping into the hoists post, and it must add a lovely fresh fragrance to your washing while its drying..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lavender and Rosemary...such wonderful scents they offer us...lovely to have them at the washing lines!
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy
    Would love to have such an abundance of lavender. The perfume is wonderful. I like making little lavender bags to scatter around !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's gorgeous, Cathy. Lavender is my favorite scent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm lavender, beautiful scent on a hot summer day. I read somewhere that you can dry your hankies on the lavender bushes to scent them.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy