About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Where did the week go??

Have had a busy week so haven’t been able to come and play or visit others 'cose as well as my usual commitments to family and charity I have been busy in other ways: -

No rain and reasonable temperatures early on in the week meant I could get out in the moist garden (courtesy of some rain last week) and do some more tidying and weeding and then follow on with newspaper covering and mulching. so much done and so much more to do :) and :(

With the breezy days I was able to get loads of washing done and dried – ‘cept for the day it did actually rain and then it dried under the covered deck

I seem to have spent an extraordinary amount of time at my Aunt’s place emptying out cupboards, packing up some things to go elsewhere (like everyday linen, crockery and pots and pans) or washing it for when the chap from the auction house came to have a look. From the amount of things she has you wouldn’t believe she actually scaled down her belongings two years ago to move to this very small two-bedroom unit.

Settlement is a week Friday – May 22nd - so by then most of this will be a thing of the past, I have to say I feel quite guilty selling out from under her – well I’m not actually doing it, that ‘foul deed doer’ is her son and my other cousin here in Melbourne.

The thing is even tho she will never be able to live at home, she isn’t aware that all this is happening (the other two have POA so dealt with the paper work) and she hasn’t said anything when bits and pieces from her home have turned up in her room.

We are selling her life away and its sad, she had some beautiful things in her home and apart from those few bits and pieces and the few things family have asked for, her life and belongings will now belong to strangers.

I know we can’t take it with us but I do wish she had been mentally capable and able to understand what was happing and then having the chance to give it away herself.

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day here in Australia – this year I wont be lying in bed waiting for the cup of tea Dh brings on behalf of our children – this year I’ll be out in the cool morning air walking in the Mother’s Day Classic helping to raise money that will go towards Breast Cancer Research.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mums here and around the world

5 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy what a hard task you are doing...but your right, you can't take it with you. I have tried to remember not to gather too much so my kids don't end up dealing with it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I understand how you feel about your aunt's belongings. My mother-in-law is 92 and really not able to anything for herself any more so we brought her to live with us a few months ago. My husband has POA and he decided to box up all the things she had left to family members in her will, plus items he thought she would want to give to particular people if she could still manage her affairs and put them in a storage unit. She has her favourite possessions in her her room and has never asked about the rest.

    I think that in their circumstances, your aunt and my mother-in-law are just happy to be well cared for. Try not to be too sad about it.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you too, Cathy. You'll be doing a great thing walking in the Mother's Day Classic. Walk a round for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cathy, thought I had been by here and left a comment but sometimes I only THINK I have....my brain, must have been your comment on me becoming a mother-in-law - lol. Anyhow, thanks for stopping by, you made me laugh. Hope you had a great Mother's Day and what a wonderful thing you did, I'd give you a big hug if I could but here's a cyber one instead - hug, hug, hug.....have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy