About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Whats alive in my garden

Plodding round the garden the other day I actually spied some colour.
After all that horrible weather nothing has been blooming so I was surpised to see the flowers
Looks like extreme heat and no water doesn't kill this plant

Sometimes called Society Garlic its real name is Tulbaghia violaceae


Some will say the leaves are edible but I wouldn't like to risk it
I started out with one plant from the nursery a few years ago and divided it into little ones and then divided them again for a few more years.

Its always grown like crazy in my garden
Now its every where which is good as it doesn't take up much space and has the prettiest mauve flowers on a little spiky stem

Looks nice beside the Brachyscome which has similar coloured flowers
They are under some roses that also have lavender flowers (Blue Moon is one of them)

Unfortunately it has a very strong smell and if I'm silly enough to pick some and bring indoors for a vase I regret it quite quickly as it stinks the house out within a short time lol

7 comments:

  1. Who would have thought something that looked this pretty could be so stinky! :))) Quite a hardy little plant from the sound of it but to be enjoyed only in your garden - lol. Have a great weekend Cathy, and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty, jus in time for Easter and spring awakening

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're pretty Cathy, same colour as they hyacinths that appeared in our garden. Their stinkiness may help us - the chooks may not like them and actually leave the flowers alone! There are a few plants that have been chickened this year but the rest have toughed it out! Have a good weekend
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter cathy! These are just beautiful! I love the dusky pink colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers are quite lovely, who would have thought that they would be so stinky. I have seen quite a few growing well, when I have been out walking, so have been thinking of getting some as they are obviously quite hardy. At least now I know not to pick the flowers.
    take care
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have brachyscome in my garden too Cathy but I love this little one - might have to search the garden centres for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathy,
    I love your flowers!
    Happy Easter!
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy