About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, April 3, 2009

What is a road train

A friend asked me today what I actually knew about Road Trains
- had to admit not much -
I do know that they are very long - can be 53 metres/173 feet in length
Remember I'm a townie so don't have contact with these every day like those who live out in the bush so here is some information I gleaned from the Internet.
They are more common in South Australia, Western Australia, parts of Queensland and New South Wales and of course in
The Northern Territory
where they were developed through necessity
Not allowed within a certain of distance of towns and cities there are trailer parks where the prime mover can move on from and take one or two trailers to wherever and the others are picked up individually
For Gill the answer is that legally they are restricted to 3 trailers - but I have seen some on mining sites that are longer but they are not the same as those used on the open road for freight or livestock.

Kurt Johannsen's Diamond T - an early road train


A road train or roadtrain is a trucking concept used in remote areas of Australia, Mexico, the United States, and Western Canada to move bulky loads efficiently.
The term "road train" is most often used in Australia.
In the U.S. and Canada the terms "triples," "Turnpike doubles" and "Rocky Mountain doubles" are commonly used for longer combination vehicles (LCVs).[1]
A road train consists of a relatively conventional tractor unit, but instead of pulling one trailer or semi-trailer, the road train pulls two or more of them.

7 comments:

  1. thank you for that info. It's funny both my brothers and my dad drive trucks for a living, but honestly I know nothing about them.

    What you found out was very interesting and I thank you for taking the time to look it up :0)

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fascinating Cathy, thank you. I remember seeing a documentary about these vehicles in Australia some years back. They followed one man's journey. It was an excellent show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's huge! That would be very intimidating bearing down on you, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. They used to use these in remote parts of Ontario to take supplies to the logging camps. Today you seldom even see piggy-backs, which is a truck that is hauling two trailers or tanks. They are becoming obsolete in most places here except the most remote.

    Blessings for a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    I always learn so much from you!
    Thanks for the time you put into blogging:o)
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha!
    This was an interesting post that took me to a very different (from Hawaii !) place.
    I'm hooked.
    Thanks for joining us over at Comfort Spiral, Cathy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't even heard the term road train until we visited Australia in 2008. Whilst travelling from Alice Springs to Ayres Rock we came across them on the highway. The guide gave us an informative talk on them too. x

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy