About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Goodbye Granddad

This has something for everyone

If you know the bush, it will appeal to you
If you work in the oil industry, there is something in it for you too
If you have a sense of humour - well, it might test it a little
And if you are not an Australian, then it won't help your knowledge of Australian life one bit.......................

Goodbye Granddad

Poor old Granddad's passed away, cut off in his prime
He never had a day off crook - gone before his time
We found him in the dunny, collapsed there on the seat
A startled look upon his face, his trousers around his feet
The doctor said his heart was good - fit as any trout
The Constable he had his say, 'foul play' was not ruled out.

There were theories at the inquest of snakebite without trace
Of redbacks quietly creeping and death from outer space
No-one had a clue at all - the judge was in some doubt
When Dad was called to have his say as to how it came about
'I reckon I can clear it up,' said Dad with trembling breath
'You see it's quite a story - but it could explain his death.

'This here exploration mob had been looking at our soil
And they reckoned that our farm was just the place for oil
So they came and put a bore down and said they'd make some trials
They drilled a hole as deep as hell, they said about three miles.
Well, they never found a trace of oil and off they went, post haste
And I couldn't see a hole like that go to flamin' waste

So I moved the dunny over it - real smart move I thought
I'd never have to dig again - I'd never be 'caught short'
The day I moved the dunny, it looked a proper sight
But I didn't dream poor Granddad would pass away that night.
Now I reckon what has happened - poor Granddad didn't know
The dunny was re-located when that night he had to go

And you'll probably be wondering how poor Granddad did his dash
.
Well, he always used to hold his breath

Until he heard the splash!!


Dunny - Outhouse - Long Drop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunny

http://www.upfromaustralia.com/takepeebreak.html

http://www.warrenfahey.com/articles/dunny.html

5 comments:

  1. Cathy, thanks for visiting my blog. I am happy to find you as well and love the above poem. So funny!

    By the way, thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog post after my husband's accident. He is doing quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just brilliant. No probs understanding any of it here.

    I first encountered a long drop aged 10 and was scared the most by the spiders - and we don't even have the nasty deadly sort here (well, just the one, rare one that lives in sand dunes).

    btw - my Folks have a dear friend who calls a certain plant "agathapanthas".

    Huggles from Mickle in Wellington

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent Cathy ! I love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Cathy - well im sure not an ozzie but im rockin in my socks at that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Cathy, it took me a couple of seconds to get that punch line - I'm like that - but when the lightbulb finally went off I laughed out loud, and I am still chuckling. Thanks for the smile to go to bed on. You're lovely and so is your blog, always a joy to come here.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy