About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

I am embarrassed

Yes, really embarrassed to say I did what we are all told not to do on days like we had yesterday :(

I shut myself off and did not keep up to date with weather and fire information. If there had been a problem in the vicinity of my house, and even tho we are classed residential suburban there are many trees in the area so it is possible, I would not be forwarned and therefore at a disadvantage.

Just after I posted yesterday I turned on the radio on and discovered that while I was safe in my cool little cocoon there were fires - you can read here - raging all over our state. Worse of all there had been deaths associated with these fires

This the website of the CFA our volunteer fire fighting service and this is the latest information and warnings at 9.30am

Many of these fires are close by in the Yarra Valley, there is one in the hills behind Dh's golf course at Healesville, just 20mins away. These fires are hitting tiny communities and larger ones - lots of our main interstate freeways and highways as well as local roads are closed, not a great thing to hear on this Sunday morning.

Most of the northern half of Australia is under water, down here in the south on fire and so many places in the northern hemisphere having their coldest winter ever - what is happening, what is going wrong?

Is anything going wrong or is it just one of those freaky years? Lots of things to think about

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I felt awful, then worried we didn't have batteries for the radio if the power went out. I found you can buy radios that don't need anything, they are like a clock I suppose.

    Funny thing is, the time when we would have needed it, the transmitter was down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's just one of those freaky years or what.
    My guys dad used to tell stories of when Lake Burrumbeet was dry as an old bone and then for years, they had problems with flooding, so it was difinitely going on in the early 1900's as well.

    It's been scary, but unfortunately, I don't think the scariness is over yet.

    Keep cool... and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep safe Cathy. It's awful what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy

    Such a tragedy that so many lives have been lost. Keep safe and we are all hoping for a end to this stupid hot weather pattern.

    Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're OK, Cathy, and so sorry to hear about all the devastation over in Aus - fires, floods, where will it all end? Keep safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy to hear you are okay too Cathy, dreadful things going on. Thanks for the links. I will go and read them now.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy