About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thinking

About this time of the year I begin to think about how we have managed on our 'pays' during the year and whether we can move along at the same pace next year or whether I'll have to rethink all the finances and money allocation in the new year.

We live quite simply these days, our bills are no where near as high as they were years ago - in relation to the amount of energy used, goods bought, food consumed and number of people living in the house - so for the two of us living on the age pension and other monthly pension payments hasn't been such a problem I thought it was going to be.

When friends start complaining about the price of things I tend to agree but not make as much of a fuss as them. I look for lots of bargains and try to find a cheaper alternative at the same standard if I can.

However I wasn't too happy when the Shire Rates arrived last week and they have risen by nearly $100. That's for home owners on concession rates so goodness knows how much they rose for those paying the full amount.

In with the yearly 'Valuation and Rate Notice' (thats its proper name, we just call it the Rates) we get sent us a lovely coloured brochure detailing where the money is going to be spent which you can believe it if you want..........................

Somehow I don't think much is going on vehicle maintenance as the bin men wake me at 6am every Monday morning 'cose the brakes on the truck squeal every time they slow down in front of each house so the long bendy arm can jump out the side of the truck and pick up the big wheelie bin and upend it. lol

Now as we pay them on a monthly basis that means I'll have to find an extra $10 each month, for us that isn't too much of a problem but will be for some. But thinking about it that $10 is what we spend if we go to our local cinema - $5 a head for seniors - or one of our admissions to the folk club concert we go to each month .

Telstra have just advised us that line rental will be rising and in the post today is a letter from TRU telling us that gas prices are about to increase. We use gas for heating, cooking and hot water.

Guess its my turn to complain loud and clear.:))


Heres another of DH's corny jokes

Why did the golfer wear two pairs of trousers?

In case he got a hole in one

Boom Boom!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    I try not to complain but......(always a but...lol) Our gas prices are unreal! Food, everything else has shot up! Dh was laid off from his job in April,jobs are drying up around here!;o( I suppose your news shows how the U.S.A. economy is right now!:o(
    I try hard to live the simple life,and a tight budget ,even at that with prices going up ,up ,up ,it gets aggervating at times! Us little people struggle and Wall St. guys(CEO'S) seems to walk away with millions in bonus etc.
    Today being Oct. 1st our property taxes will arrive in the mail, electric bills are going up this month 30%! We heat with heating oil use to be .99 per gallon,who knows what it will be this winter. Last yr. $3.99 per gallon! THe list goes on and on!
    I am very Thankful for what we do have !And try to focus on all our Blessins' ,somedays its just hard not to complain!
    THanks for allowing me to VENT!!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link for the zuchinni recipes:

    http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com/2008/08/50-1-things-to-do-with.html

    I am going to organize those posts and put them on my sidebar when I get a minute.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know Cathy, I am 99.9% sure I posted on this thread of yours? Infact I know I did.......very, very strange......

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,
    Yes, things here are going up and up apart from the pensions !Though it's surprising what you can do when you shop around.We'll have to be stoical and think that we are better for eatng less,walking instead of riding and wearing the extra woolly instead of turning up the heat.! How miserable !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cathy, very interesting post. Always enjoy coming here and seeing what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathy, I hear people here complaining about being on a "fixed income." Well, the way I look at it...it's better that NO income. A fixed income means you are guaranteed the same amount each month. Why can't people learn to live within their means. I'm proud of my "fixed income."

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy