About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, May 19, 2008

What to do on cold wet weekend

Well - the BOM got it right his weekend, Saturday was the coldest wettest day for about 8 years and Sunday not far behind. We had 10mm of rain during Saturday and 27mm yesterday. Bet there were loads of struggling Mums out there as there was lots of football played in the rain.

Friday night in my area was cold, down to 7c/ 45f overnight, and then on Saturday the highest it got to be was 10c/50f. Saturday night it dropped down to 6c/43f and it didn’t get any higher than 14c/57f on Sunday. Not to be out done last night went down to 5c/1f and today it has struggled to reach 15c/59f.

So I didn’t go far at all – in fact I did some cooking. Turned the heater off and used the oven to warm the house:)


Chicken soup from the stock I froze the other day along with some added McKenzie’s dried soup mix (barley, lentils, peas and beans) celery, carrots and a few other bits and pieces. Didn’t taste too bad and made me realise that I can cook frugally if I try.

The butcher had some good bargains recently; they had stewing beef on special so I did a sort of casserole for the Sunday evening meal. After browning the meat along with garlic and onions I put it and carrots into the crock-pot and left it cooking all day. There was some left over gravy in the freezer and that got used as well as Worcestershire Sauce to spice it up a bit. I’d forgotten what the slow cooking in the crock-pot does for those cheaper cuts; there I thought it was going to be tough but it almost melted in the mouth. Mashed potatoes made it into real comfort food for a rainy day.

I did some cake cooking in the aftenoon, DH couldn’t believe his eyes but didn’t dare say a thing. It’s been a while since I have shown any inclination to cook save the necessary things.

So I made Date and Walnut Loaves and a Boiled Fruit Cake. Easy to do, melt some ingredients in a saucepan, add egg, bicarb soda and flour, mix and cook.

During the recent clear out I found an old binder I used many years ago that I used to store recipes from magazines and the newspapers etc you know the sort of thing. Things that caught my eye when the kids were little – some dated in the 1970’s.

I had to laugh at the prices in the newspaper ads. In The Sun Nov 1977 – at Family Fare (who I think went out of business or were gobbled up many years ago) a twin pack of Sorbent toilet paper was 56c, Salada crackers 39c and it cost $1.35 for 100 Lipton Tea Bags :)

Later Sunday afternoon I sat down to sort out the cross stitch and realised the threads I bought recently were for another project:(

But then after a good hard look at which ones I actually did have it turned out I only needed to buy 3 colours. Sometimes its good to be a hoarder:))

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, I too go through spells where I done feel like cooking at all and only do what's necessary. Then when I start again DH is so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Cathy,
    Hope your weather is better.
    We're having alot of rain (much needed) in the past few weeks. Its sprintime here .I love this season.
    Hope you have a great week.
    Blessins',Lib

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boiled fruit cake, is that like the fruitcake made with candied fruit & nuts?
    Warm days here. Off to Redding, Ca Tuesday PM for a district conference. Thunderstorms predicted there!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy