About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, May 9, 2008

Tiring week

Hopefully next week will be a bit more lively.

The funeral we attended on Wednesday has left me feeling very jaded all week - this person was one of the first we really got to know when we arrived here in Australia many years a go.

We first met Pete not long after we settled in Melbourne. He joined a Ten Pin Bowling League on the same evening as DH, and even tho he was 15 years older than DH they had several interests in common and hit it off immediately. Apart from my Uncle and Aunt at that time we really knew nobody else but slowly over time he and his wife became like family to us.

Loving, caring, sharing and so generous with time and infromation we all grew to love him. He was a proud Australian who showed and also explained to us that to understand and enjoy life in Australia you must look around, marvel at its flora and fauna and the land. He loved the bush and also the sea, had caravans at Bonnie Doon and Inverloch, taught the kids to fish and encouraged DH to try golf.
Explained Aussie Rules to us new chums, mentioned his beloved Carlton Football Club and never showed dissapointment when the kids all chose a team to follow but it wasn't his team.

He saw our children grow up, at times tolerated their unruly behaviour, other times told them a thing or two, attended their weddings, cuddled their children.

We will miss him. I'm not sure what the past 35years would have been like if we had never met.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy, I am so sorry.
    Where did you live before you moved to Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss Cathy. Hugs. Take care.

    Vi

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy