About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Its a lovely day today

It's a lovely day today
So whatever you've got to do
You've got a lovely day to do it in, that's true


Lyrics by Irving Berlin from the musical Call Me Madam

I love that old song and if I'd started this entry yesterday that certainly would have been the theme for the day. It was a gorgeous day and I spent most of it outside in the garden.

The forecast for this weekend is for wet days so with a promise of sunny, dry with a little wind for Thursday I knuckled under and did some basic chores first, like finding as much washing as I could that could be hung outside to dry.

Changed the bed and collected towels and bath mat from the bathroom to make another load and they chugged along while I tidied up and did the dishes. Then it was sunscreen and gardening clothes and ignore the phone while I played in the dirt.

We are planning on having some work done by a tree lopper and one of the offending trees is right next to where my compost heap is.

Naturally I don't want to lose any of the good stuff thats been cooking there for a while or have it covered over or topped up with raw wood chips so I removed all the edging and raked it further down on to the adjoining garden bed. They can chip branches into the cleared area and it will be the start of another heap. Lots of leaves starting to come down and I'll try to rustle up other goodies as well and we'll be on our way again before the winter slows it all down.

Took me a little while to move it all as that area is behind the garage and part of it has become my holding/dumping ground for gardening things. Its where the wheelbarrow lives along with spare plant pots as well as some star pickets and all the old fence palings and things like that - those things that will come in handy once I know what I really want to do with them :)

I'm hoping the palings will be strong enough to form the outline of a veggie bed in the spring - only thing is I have to do the hard work preparing it during the winter. I never grizzle on rainy days (when we get them that is) as its softening the ground up and putting much needed moisture down in the ground as my attempt of growing veggies in amongst the roses didn't really work so more thought will have to go into where I can site a bed solely for veggies.

My back ached a bit last night and I was cautious getting out of bed this morning. Certainly didn't want another episode of back pain like the last one but I had something else to think about as the arm the Dr jabbed the other day was sore as well - flu jab time and even tho I don't mix with as many people as when I was working I still get that yearly dose as you never know whats round the corner.

He is trying to get me to have the pneumonia vaccine as well but I'm not too sure about that.

Although the Dr did remind me it wasn't all that long ago I suffered a lot of respiratory complaints and he diagnosed mature onset asthma which seems to have gone away now, I'm not too sure about adding something new into my system. I could be worrying about nothing and may change my mind in the next couple of weeks.

Will spend a good part of the weekend which as I said is supposed to be cold and wet starting a cross stitch wedding sampler for a friends daughter. Spotlight had Aida cloth on special the other week so I snagged a metre as well as all the threads I needed so we all ready for the starters gun.

Must find my enlarger glasses as well as the magnifying glass to hang round my neck first tho':)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    That's what I have, mature onset asthma with restrictive airway disease. Yikes...I was never sick before. Is aging great?
    You asked about the ducklings and the hen. I never did this before but Henny Penny was so insiste
    nt on brooding that I decided to use her skills and she has become a wonderful foster mother to these six little guys.
    I am glad to be done my "on the road" job so I can concentrate on the doll business. Life is so very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy