About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Books

One thing I like to do is read. I read lots. As we all know books are not cheap, even from second hand bookshops they still cost.

They clog up the bookshelves and we have to have a cull now and again so our local library is great, free and the books go back.
I can spend hours there and come out happy - 'cept for the crick in the neck I get from reading titles on shelves sideways on.

A couple of groups I belong to have a Book on the Table concept. Books are put on the table on meeting days for anyone to read and sometimes I can find an interesting one there.

The place I go to in Malvern has a small library - staff bring in books and there is a semi formal recording system that works well - name of book and owner, then columns for who borrows along with out and in dates.


A couple of years ago we discovered a place in Collingwood that sells discount books - Dirt Cheap

Its a huge warehouse type place with oodles of books of all shapes and sizes. Fiction, non fiction, childrens you name it more than likely its there.
Do you know the beauty of this place - all the books are brand new and cost only $4.99. Many are remainders but often there will be late releases as well.

Its only open Sat and Sunday and just occasionally if we have a spare $20 ( 2 books each) and our free Sunday transport card we can have a great day for a reasonable cost. I then pass them on to friends and so the circle turns

One of my latest purchases was the one above. Tell me your secret by Deirdre Purcell

We are off to Adelaide on Wednesday morning for a few days and this will be going along with me for the 10 hour journey - along with my knitting of course:)

4 comments:

  1. I have so many books in the house I don't have room for any more on the bookshelves. The Man brings me new ones as soon as my pile goes down...(I don't do shopping)....

    I was just mentioning a book to Dulwichmum called 'And Ladies of the Club' ... Go to Wikepedia to read the history behind it...

    Just a fantastic read if you can get your hands on it! This woman is truly my inspiration behind writing my own book. I bow at the feet of a master!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of having taht shop right near your home! Would kill for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun in Adelaide!

    It's great to find bargain books. We found a great cheap book shop last time we were in Brisbane too. Unfortunately we were just about to go to the airport, so we only had a quick look.
    Sounds like a nice way to spend a Sunday. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,
    Just passing by,
    Your book shelves sounds like mine.Oh how i love to buy a book on special..
    I like Di Morressey, Catherine Cookson. Danielle Steel,plus a few different authors, and have quiet a few books waiting to be read My latest is Anita Burgh The broken gate, I got that yesterday on special so will add to the pile of must reads after I finish my latest Throw rugs 1 knitted 1 crochet.
    Have a wonderful Holiday in Adelaide

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy