About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Past frugal ways

Making the bed up fresh yesterday I remembered something that happened the other day.

Like lots of women when we get together we chat about putting the world to right then go on to talk about trivial things; so last Friday when some friends and I were chattering one laughed about taking 2 flat sheets from the cupboard instead of 1 flat and 1 fitted.

We then spoke about when there were only flat sheets; a fitted bottom sheet was a luxury or something you fiddled around with trying to make for yourself from your flat ones. Of course they now are a way of life, no more trying to do neat hospital corners and not have it all fall out as you pushed it under the mattress along the sides.

Not sure if it was laziness on her part or we didn’t have that many sheets but in my house Mum only changed the bottom one, putting the top one on the bottom making sure the part that had been a the top was also at the top and not down the bottom of the bed. Even tho it was underneath you on the bottom with pillows on top of it you didn’t want the cheesy feet part near you face for the next week. :)

Then when they started to wear thin in the middle the sheets were given a new lease on life by being sewn sides to middle so there were almost like new pieces in the middle but if they were sewn on a machine that wasn’t crash hot (like my mothers was) there was also a big ridge down the middle meaning you slept on one side or the other but never directly in the middle of the bed.

Over this past weekend I wanted something to tie up a plant so tore a strip off some old sheeting we have in the garage. Remembering which daughter used to have it on her bed made me think about how old it actually was and noticed it had been sewn ‘sides to the middle’.

So it looks like my Mum passed down to me her frugal habits or was it that we (DH and I) were really hard up when the kids were little and somehow or another I had to make things last a lot longer?

Any thoughts from anyone

4 comments:

  1. Cooking a chicken or turkey down for broth/soup is one frugal tip my mom pass on to me.
    The other one, but I don't do is she always had a can of spam on hand for emergency. I keep plenty of eggs, pasta and/or tuna handy for those meals just before payday.I do like spam, but not hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something my Mother did was to make me skirts out of the flowered feed sacks. (I would like to have some of those today). She made me a skirt and I couldn't wait to wear it to school the next day. Well, low and behold, a boy that I didn't like had on a shirt made from the same feed sack. I couldn't wait to get home and take it off, and I can't remember ever wearing it again. I have thought about that many times in my older years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Any friend of Clara's is a friend of mine. =)

    I think there were so many hard times back then that frugalness was a way of life. My Grandma raised a large family through the depression. She installed that frugalness in my Mom and her siblings. It was a hard thing to let go of, but some of it did wear off. I think this world could stand a bit more of that kind of thinking, but maybe not to the extreme that it was taken to. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of my grandmother who did exactly the same thing with the sheets. Once they had been sewn together and worn out again she cut them up and made pillow cases and hankies. There was always a new use for everything old.
    I am really enjoying your blog Cathy. Thanks for dropping by my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy