About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Monday, January 1, 2007

January 1st 2007 - New Years Day

After all the strange weather we have had recently today has been quite pleasant. To say Melbourne’s weather can be fickle is an understatement but it has been known to be changeable. The past month (December) showed how changeable it can be with days of extreme temperatures ranging from freezing with accompanying hail and snow to scorching hot with thunderstorms to follow.

It was so good to get the days of rain over Christmastime - not so happy with the cold days – coldest Christmas Day for many years, temp didn’t even reach 15c – but now we are reaping the benefit with the grass greening up and plants looking better than they have for a long time. Not sure that theres much moisture left in the ground but the mulch I put down the other day will be a lot of help in that regard.

Here we are at the beginning of a New Year and we are back to porridge or other good food and fruit for breakfast and a healthy lunch, instead of just grazing all day on anything that jumped out of the cupboard or fridge. All the nasty holiday stuff has been consumed – thank goodness – not all of it by me – thank goodness - and I am turning a blind eye to anything of the like that the supermarkets might be promoting because its summer time and they think we have to eat all that sort of stuff at bbq ‘s.

Last year I seemed to have been on the go most of the time and I feel I achieved most of the things I set out to achieve ‘cept of course getting to that 60kg mark. Having that long overseas trip and then the problem with my knee and also the sciatic nerve were all reasons why I fell short but also I think I really wasn’t dedicated to the cause.

In other words I stopped trying.

This is the time of the year when people make resolutions concerning loosing weight but I can’t do that (I loath failing, and saying I am going to do something like that will put the mockers on it for sure) but sometimes I think I might try hard to do something extra special.

Goal setting is good but for me they have to be realistic or as I said I get very depressed and find myself on the merry go round of eating less, not losing anything in the time I hoped I would, thinking why worry, eating again, and getting upset when the kilos come back on again.

This year 2007 I will try to: -

Exercise as much as possible – hopefully at least 5 times a week. I have reworked the distances of some of my local walks and will try to take some of the longer ones instead of the safe option of the ‘favourite’ slighter shorter ones.

Now I have realised I prefer the classes to the gym proper I will try to attend pump classes or circuit whenever possible bearing in mind I don’t do pump 2 days in row.

Learn to plan my meals so that they contain a healthy balance of ingredients served on a small plate and realising chocolate is not a banned substance but can be good for me now and again

Learn something new – a craft or a new skill. With all that was going on in 2006 I didn’t really have the time to do this.

I will try to make the most of an opportunity in March to meet new people and work together with them as a team. I will be doing some extra special volunteering again this year – the FINA world-swimming championships are being held in Melbourne and with the position I have been offered I will have the chance to meet a lot of the athletes and other members of the visiting international teams.

Must away, its nearly bedtime and I need my beauty sleep. Have been feeling much better recently – not sure if it’s the thyroxin medication kicking in or just me feeling better inside myself. I certainly have more energy than I've had for a long time and am sleeping much sounder as well.

Happy New Year everyone

1 comment:

  1. A Happy New Year to you too Cathy!! I hope 2007 will be all you want it to be. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy